hell of a season this year

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Camron
Warrant Officer

hell of a season this year

Post by Camron » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:07 pm

wow i have never had luck this good. i have bout 35 trout in my freezer. anyone else been doin good this year?????

Matt
Admiral

RE:hell of a season this year

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I have had a an "ok" season. Some lingcod and cabezon, few steelhead here and there, handfull of kokanee. My freezer is looking a bit on the slim side though, but the good news is the rivers just opened and King fishing in the salt is just around the corner so things should be a changin.

If you 'got a freezer full of trout it sounds like you need a bucket full of brine followed up shortly by a smoker full of fish. :chef:
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:01 am

Matt wrote:I have had a an "ok" season. Some lingcod and cabezon, few steelhead here and there, handfull of kokanee. My freezer is looking a bit on the slim side though, but the good news is the rivers just opened and King fishing in the salt is just around the corner so things should be a changin.

If you 'got a freezer full of trout it sounds like you need a bucket full of brine followed up shortly by a smoker full of fish. :chef:

hahahaha! They always end back in the freezer after they're smoked though. If you do 'em in big batches like that. I've got a freezer full of trout fillets, caught a bunch of trips out of green lake, mmy wife loves 'em. I've got steel and springer in there too, I'm averaging 3/4 of a limit per river trip so far this year, so *fingers crossed* if this keeps up I'll be able to convince my wife to let us get the upright freezer I've been wanting. And besides the ice cream, steaks and butter, all I've got in the freezer is fish. Hehehe.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:51 pm

sounds like he needs a bucket full of perch

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Post by yooper_fisher » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:06 pm

I too am having a banner year on the trout, and nate is right... when smoked they just end up back in the freezer, lol.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Last year was a banner year for trout and me. But in the middle I started targeting kokanee and am now addicted. I believe I have been doing well. The sad part is I don't want to fish for anything else except salmon.
I rode past a place on American lake that I had fun fishing for rock bass...now I don't even want to stop and try.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Despite the weather, it has been a great year!

clanmks
Angler

Post by clanmks » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 pm

I don't fish much as I want to with two kids but I did better last season. pass 1 month, no steelheads and no lingcod. so I am 0/4. I was told salmon season opens up again in Westport and hopefully Lewis river will have more steelheads soon.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Maybe I'm just a bit too picky but I don't keep fish in the freezer more than 90 days. The taste and texture changes really turn me off. After far too many years of stuffing my freezers (yes plural) and letting most of the prime fish freezer burn into crab bait, I finally got it through my thick head that something had to change. The first thing I tried was vacuum packing so I was still stuffing the freezers. Vacuum packed fish still looked good after 6 months but the texture and taste still weren't what I wanted. Then I tried smoking the fish. Was a good change of pace from fresh but if I then stuffed it back into the freezer I ended up with the same problems except the problems were slightly masked by salt and smoke. Next move was to can the surpluses, both fresh can and smoked then canned. Definitely improved the shelf life but eventually I got tired of buying more cans and building shelves to store them. The final solution (for me) was to stop killing everything I caught. Just bonk enough to eat fresh, freeze and consume within 90 days (preferably less), or give away to friends who can no longer fish but appreciate a gift of fresh fish.
Life's short - fish hard!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Everything that goes into my freezer is vaccume sealed and dated (oldest out 1st). When I 1st started out, I was keeping pretty much all I caught. But now I am able to catch enough that I release anything that is not bright. Even then, if it is not dime-bright, it gets smoked. Then whatever is left over at the beginning of the next season gets smoked up also. The smoked fish then goes to every party, potluck, & dinner I go to (just pick up a box of crackers & tub of cream cheese to go with and you are a hero!) as well as holiday gifts for neighbors, coworkers, etc. I also take a bunch down to my wife's family in MX whenever we go.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Haha, I am a fish snob too Gringo. If it ain't bright, it doesn't come home (typically... extraneous circumstances do exist). I keep most all salmon and steelhead hatchery fish I catch as long as they are bright, I have no problem blowing through my supplies in less than 90 days, but since I fish year round there is always SOMETHING in the freezer to eat! [thumbup]
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

Post by rockjiggr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 pm

My preferred storage method is a gallon ziplock bag, filets lumped in and then filled with slightly salted water. Eliminates the air contact and keeps everything plenty moist. It does take up a lot of room in the freezer but with 6 hungry mouths to feed, we rarely have too much on hand anyway.
The cast that catches the fish is never too short. Patrick McManus

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm

i find white fish freezes/keeps better than red flesh fish