What % per species?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cavdad45
Commodore

RE:What % per species?

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:33 am

mallard83 wrote:
cavdad45 wrote: Have you tried any of those big swimbaits that look like 10" trout or juvenile salmon. They work great for bass! Just joking around:-"
I haven't had a chance to get around to using these yet, but if if Washington ever lets me use a live one I may try those on a gang line. LOL!!!
I would put a 3/0 circle hook through their lips and swim them under a party balloon near the lily pads. It would be like fishing golden shiners in Florida.

We must not talk to much about this though. The state might start thinking about increasing their revenue by converting some of its cookie-cutter trout factories into bait shops.

Wow this thread has really gone off the tracks :bom:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 pm

cavdad45 wrote:
mallard83 wrote:
cavdad45 wrote: Have you tried any of those big swimbaits that look like 10" trout or juvenile salmon. They work great for bass! Just joking around:-"
I haven't had a chance to get around to using these yet, but if if Washington ever lets me use a live one I may try those on a gang line. LOL!!!
I would put a 3/0 circle hook through their lips and swim them under a party balloon near the lily pads. It would be like fishing golden shiners in Florida.

We must not talk to much about this though. The state might start thinking about increasing their revenue by converting some of its cookie-cutter trout factories into bait shops.

I know someone who used to do that with small perch and small trout... Bigg cutthroat, and even bigger bass.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Derrick-k wrote:
cavdad45 wrote:
mallard83 wrote: I haven't had a chance to get around to using these yet, but if if Washington ever lets me use a live one I may try those on a gang line. LOL!!!

I know someone who used to do that with small perch and small trout... Bigg cutthroat, and even bigger bass.

Just to be clear. I was only throwing out the trout idea in fun. Don't do it! It's illegal (atleast in WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, and WY.):jocolor: :jocolor:

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm

Yeah, DON'T use live bait because I knew a guy that got a nice fat ticket at and undisclosed lake a number of years back for using live goldfish under a bobber. It is not worth the ticket nor the environmental impact it may cause on certain waters. Ok, now that we are so far off track lets hear from more people about what they fish for. Thanks.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:47 am

bigastrout wrote:I would say that 70% of the time I am fishing for trout and salmon.
Best fishing in the state right there. Trout/Salmon fight the best and produce some of the best table fare too!
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Trout- 90%
Bass- 10%

One thing I would like to try is going after Northerns with a fly. I have heard that it is really a hoot. Not sure how to go about it, but have thought about trying the Chain Lakes over by Medimont, ID
If I could get that down, the numbers above would change.

krafty1
Petty Officer

Post by krafty1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:19 am

Salmon 25%
Steelhead 25%
Trout 25%
Bass 25%

Its fun to mix it up for me. And one of the species is usually biting! But if I could Salmon and Steelhead fish everyday throughout the year I would be a happy man!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Trout- 90%
Bass- 10%

One thing I would like to try is going after Northerns with a fly. I have heard that it is really a hoot. Not sure how to go about it, but have thought about trying the Chain Lakes over by Medimont, ID
If I could get that down, the numbers above would change.
I have seen guys fishing for northerns with fly rods on t.v. up in Canada and it looks like a blast. I have always wanted to do this ever since I saw it. I have never caught one before and have always wanted to because it seems that that they are very hard fighters especially on a fly rod. It would be a nice change of pace because the biggest fish I have caught on a fly rod was a 4 lb. rainbow.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Wow! That was easy..........

www.pikeonthefly.com/

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:21 am

I just discovered a fun fish in South Florida that I really fell in love with. It's a Mayan Cichlid. No joke! They are everywhere in the canals from Miami up to Palm Beach. They are like a big mean bluegill juiced on steroids. They fight like crazy and there is no limit and they taste great! I've been catching bunches of them while fishing for Peacock Bass with medium sized Golden Shiners. They average about a pound and are beautiful. Also am having fun with Spotted Tilapia. Even caught one on a 6" plastic worm.

Too bad they are so far away from home. I will definitely come back for more.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:22 pm

cavdad45 wrote:I just discovered a fun fish in South Florida that I really fell in love with. It's a Mayan Cichlid. No joke! They are everywhere in the canals from Miami up to Palm Beach. They are like a big mean bluegill juiced on steroids. They fight like crazy and there is no limit and they taste great! I've been catching bunches of them while fishing for Peacock Bass with medium sized Golden Shiners. They average about a pound and are beautiful. Also am having fun with Spotted Tilapia. Even caught one on a 6" plastic worm.

Are those native to Florida, or are they a transplant like the Peacocks? And a little off subject, but how are the Peacocks doing in Florida? I heard about them being there awhile back and haven't really heard much since.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:26 pm

probably

Bass=75%
Trout=5%
Panfish=15%
Catfsh=5%
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:45 am

mallard83 wrote:
cavdad45 wrote:I just discovered a fun fish in South Florida that I really fell in love with. It's a Mayan Cichlid. No joke! They are everywhere in the canals from Miami up to Palm Beach. They are like a big mean bluegill juiced on steroids. They fight like crazy and there is no limit and they taste great! I've been catching bunches of them while fishing for Peacock Bass with medium sized Golden Shiners. They average about a pound and are beautiful. Also am having fun with Spotted Tilapia. Even caught one on a 6" plastic worm.

Are those native to Florida, or are they a transplant like the Peacocks? And a little off subject, but how are the Peacocks doing in Florida? I heard about them being there awhile back and haven't really heard much since.
They are not native fish to Florida. They ended up in the waterways because of illegal dumping of aquarium fish. The South Florida canals have over a dozen exotics that have established themselves and effectively displaced the majority of native fish like bluegill, warmouth, redear sunfish, crappie, etc.

Most of these fish I have seen in aquarium stores myself but obviously smaller versions. They include African Jewelfish, Black Acara, Blue Tilapia, Brown Hoplo, Bullseye Snakehead (I caught one of these about 22" long), Clown Knifefish, Jaguar Guapote, Mayan Cichlid, Midas Cichlid, Mozambique Tilapia, Oscar, Pike Killifish, Redstriped Eartheater, Spotted Tilapia, Sailfin Catfish, Swamp Eel, and of course Walking Catfish and Grass Carp.

The only authorized introduction of exotic fish was the Peacock Bass or Butterfly Peacock which was introduced to control the populations of the other exotic fish. The Peacocks are well established in Dade and Broward Counties. North of Pompano Beach they are sporadic because they frequently winterkill. They will die if water temps fall below 60 degrees. The average size is 2- or 3-pounds, with many that exceed 8-pounds. Their maximum size is 12-15 pounds. Fishing for them is fairly consistent, just check with local tackle shops for latest info.

This time of year, they are the best fishery available because the regular black bass is hunkered down most of the time because of the hot water. Peacocks love the heat and feed all day long on topwaters and fast crankbaits. They are extremely vulnerable to medium sized shiners. They don't feed at night, at all.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:23 pm

That sucks that those other species that you mentioned are not native and have actually displaced some of the native species. The Peacocks sound like a complete blast though. What is the state record Peacock in Florida?

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:33 pm

The state record is 9.1 pounds, but larger fish have been landed that did not get qualified because the fish and game department has very stringent rules for verification. However 13 of 16 IGFA records have come from Florida. Makes sense since the IGFA Hall of Fame shares a parking lot with Bass Pro Shops in the Ft. Lauderdale/Dania Beach area.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:36 pm

cavdad45 wrote:Makes sense since the IGFA Hall of Fame shares a parking lot with Bass Pro Shops in the Ft. Lauderdale/Dania Beach area.
How ironic.

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:30 am

60% Crappie/Pumpkinseed Sunfish/Bluegill/Perch
30% Bass
5% Trout
5% Salmon

That trout percentage will go up soon, I'm just getting back into that style of fishing
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:29 pm

These days all I use is a flyrod or I go on guided tours in Cabo, the Keys or Cayman, so I would say......
Trout- 90%
Big Game Saltwater Fish (Marlin, Yellow Fin etc.) 10%

Twice, in the salt flats of Texas. I have fished for Bonefish with success and I have caught Peacock Bass on Kuai, but since I do neither regularly they don't count in this context.

Never got into the panfish, Bass and bottom fish thing. No bias, just never tried that much. I have always been able to find great trout fishing and that is what I know best.

Tight Lines!

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:08 am

Fisherman_max wrote:probably

Bass=75%
Trout=5%
Panfish=15%
Catfsh=5%
I agree with max's percentages. except mines around 0% for catfish and 20% steelhead, and 10% salmon.
Bass fishing is definitely my favorite because Its challenging, u dont just throw out a spinner or bait and let it sit there for hours, you actually have to convince the fish that the lure is food! then after catching a couple nice fish the relief of waiting patiently pays off. Not to say landing a nice 40lb salmon or 15lb steely isnt rewarding though!
I try to go fishing as much as possible. Most of the time though, the weather and time of year determines what type of fish I go for. Bass are all year round, thats probably why I like them best. If Salmon and Steelhead were all year round, my percentages would be....

Salmon - 33.3%
Steelhead - 33.3%
Bass - 33.3%
If in doubt set the hook!

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Back "home" in the Midwest/South:
80% Catfish
15% Bass
5% Panfish

My new home (here):
90% Bass
5% Panfish (when I get bored/slow Bass day)
5% Catfish/Bullhead (this will drastically change if I manage to leave the plateau and hit east of the mountains or over in Kitsap)

I thinks its a load of BS that we can't use live bait in this state; I grew up using live minnows...:rambo: