catching and eating carp!!!!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
panfisher
Captain

RE:catching and eating carp!!!!

Post by panfisher » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:25 pm

there mite as well be a forum for carp, either talk about them and their ways or how to fish and eat them. they do have carp shoot tournaments, and it is very popular world-wide. plus they can be worth 10's of 1.000's of dollars each for the colored variety (koi) there are lakes here in washington that have big ones that use to be somebody's pets. i know a few fish that are at least 30yrs old and are over 3ft long now. <')//<

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:46 pm

An Iraqi carp recipe. Someone said they wanted to know so here it is.

She says to gut the fish and butterfly it from the back. Then salt it and place it in the oven. Chop up some onions and tomatos and cook those on the stove top and salt and pepper them. When the fish in the oven has droplets across it from the moisture trying to leave pull the fish out and pour the mixture of tomatos and onions on top of it making sure to salt and pepper, place it back in the oven and finish the cooking. I don't know what temperatures I forgot to ask (oops) but I plan to experiment next time I get some carp out of the Boyer Park Marina. If anyone wants to fish for carp there are tons of them in the Marina and they'd be more than happy for you to fish them out, but they don't allow bow fishing there.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:58 pm

thanks!! sounds like an easy recipe, i would use some pace chunky salsa instead of all that chop,chop work and i wouldn't feel right crying over a carp while chopping the onions. <')//<

fox9068
Angler

Post by fox9068 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:10 am

Asian Carp: Can't Beat Them? Eat Them
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5542199

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:13 am

at the resort at silver lake in cowlitz county they actually have signs saying to release the grass carp. if you catych them on accident your not supposed to even take them out of the water, and they will tell you that at the resort. what people fish for is the common carp. there is a BUNCH of these as well. its pretty common for asians and russians to fish for them. they are also alot of fun to catch on light gear, they make a bunch of runs and will pull your drag several times.

i asked a asian guy about it once he said they are good, if cooked right better than alot of fish. i say to each there own. thats a lake that prooves that carp and other fish can live along with no problems as long as the carp dont overun the lake. silver definately doesnt have a lack of fish to catch.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

reelinanrockin
Petty Officer

Post by reelinanrockin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:09 pm

They want us to take squaw fish out of the Columbia. Maybe he can bring his dog and bow show up here for a vacation trip.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Reelinanrockin... the bounty is only on a specific size of squaw fish and they'll give you money only if the fish are in good condition.. I'm assuming ravaged by a dog would preclude it from being in good condition :-P.

tnj: You didn't happen to get any recipes? :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judge Wapner
Petty Officer

Post by Judge Wapner » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm

My judgement is to never have a carp forum.
I will find you in contempt of court if I ever here mention of this again.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Don't worry everyone...we'll see that guy with the mullet on Cops or after the next hurricane being interviewed after his "house" blew away (I know, that's mean)....sorry.

I was Deputy in Colorado for a few years and had to shoot a dog similar to that one because it had turned on it's owner. Basically ate the guys face off...literally!! The "Brain Surgeon" had the bright idea to feed his dog road kill and raw meat and fish it's entire life, so needless to say, it had the taste of blood in it....I guess he won't be doing that anymore.

I'm gonna forwar those pictures to P.I.T.A. just for kicks....LOL
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 pm

bustin wrote:Those pictures are a bit crazy. I don't really agree with wasting any fish no matter what it is.
Usually I'd agree, but carp are not only not native, they damage waterways by stirring up the bottom, clean out valuable weeds, and for some reason leaving the bad weeds. They do only damage, and never good.

I say, Kill Them All, than let God sort them out.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:34 am

Hey Gringo! I found a place for your Greenlake Carp Catching Secrets (GCCS) you got from the Russian mafia. :chef:

I like carp because they remind me of the luck dragon in the neverending story. :-s
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 pm

Ha! Actually we had a lake growing up near the family ranch in Nebraska that we would go to every summer. The only thing I ever remember catching was Carp and bullheads. I LOVED catching the carp they were fun to fight. One of my fondest memories growing up were my grandma & I were up at the crack o dawn every morning fishing before anybody else. One morning she latched into one and fought it for what seemed like forever. When she got it up to the shore this thing had to be the biggest freshwater fish (outside of Stergeon) I have ever seen my life. It broke off right at the shore. Not a word was spoken between us she just winked and tied up another hook and kept fishing. Never said anything about it to anyone. If course I was 9 and runnin around "you should seen what grandma caught!" She just played it down like it was no big deal. We always just used worms off the bottom. ok (fog clearing, harp music bringing me back to reality)
What I have learned so far for the Greenlake Russian Carp Mafia ( or GRCM) so far is..There are not a huge amount in the lake, but they are there and range from 5-20#. They are catching them with a 3 hook dropshot type setup - except instead of tying the hook straight to the leader via a polymere, each hook is on it's own side leader about 6" long off the main leader. Space between each hook is about 6-8" and the 1st hook is about 6-8" from the weight. The line they are using is HUGE, like maybe 50#?? (I assume this is because they are fishing as much or more for food as for sport) and the weight is also huge (one guy actually was using a rock about 1/2 the size of my fist). Then they also tether their rods to the rod holder. (I know that tethering is a good idea as I have seen Carp pull rods into lakes before.. My rods) the bait they are using is just white bread mashed onto the hook, only more of a flat shape instead of a ball. "And de corn es gude too". Some of them have bells on the rod-tip, others have their rod holder setup to hold their rod at almost horizontal, then between a couple of the eyelets, they hang something (like a bobber & weight) from a hook on the line. Then if they see it rise, they know somethings on.
Also, I stumbled across this site which has a lot of good information on it.. http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/carpingtips.html
and check out this monster, also found surfing the web...38lbs
Attachments
38lb-buffalo-carp.jpg
38lb-buffalo-carp.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:49 pm

What an ugly fish! A big one though, I wouldn't complain if I caught it.