Lake Washington perch in MARCH

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Lake Washington perch in MARCH

Post by bigfishguy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:25 pm

August through October in shallower water, and even November through January/February (they are concentrated, DEEP!), can be great for Lake Washington perch. January/February 70' deep, north of the Seahawks practice field is a starting point. A hundred per boat sometimes. Summer: 17' deep on outer edge of weedlines - Kirland areas.
But what about MARCH? No real perch action mentioned looking at all the March reports, so what's the deal? How does it compare to January/February (great fishing then)? Most importantly: what areas and depths!?

Thanks!

Sideburns
Commander

Re: Lake Washington perch in MARCH

Post by Sideburns » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Im sure others will chime in here, but I can remember people saying that March can be difficult to locate perch. Maybe they scatter before returning to the shallows? I think that around march the thermocline will start to disappear, or the lake should turn over?, making for less defined temp zones on the bottom for the perch.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 am

I appreciate that quick feedback.

Yesterday the water temps were not stratified (well, only a 0.3 degree difference between 60' and 90' depths) - so you are thinking that that changes as the waters warm around March? Would they be less concentrated near the bottom, so that would mean they are more difficult to locate (right now they are w/in 12" of the bottom, so that makes it much much easier to locate, VERTICALLY.)
https://green2.kingcounty.gov/lake-buoy ... files.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your thoughts?

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 am

I check the Lake Wa. buoy data a couple times a day and saw that gradual 'no defined' temp change from top to bottom. Took until evening before it had a sharper defined line. Made me go "Hmmmm".

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm

When looking at the data regarding water temps, be sure to check the scale so you know how much of a change you have. Sometimes it will appear as though there is a solid thermocline, but in reality it is just showing a slight change in temperature. 0.3 degrees isn't going to cause the fish to move or create a themocline that will act as cover. You will start to see fish spawning in weeds that have survived the winter die-off and all will have done their thing by June. So the void you see in the perch catching during the spring is due to staging for and the actual spawn. The key for the perch isn't so much the water temps as it is the the oxygen levels and the water conditions don't typically start to get wacky in Lake Washington until mid June.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Buoy data? I guess I'm the last to know... Got a link?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 pm

https://green2.kingcounty.gov/lake-buoy/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks. Bookmarked.
Celsius converted to F... Much better.
Im shocked to see 44.4 on top and 43.3 at the bottom, only 1 degree F difference top to bottom! in 180 fow!

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 pm

G-Man wrote:...a slight change in temperature. 0.3 degrees isn't going to cause the fish to move or create a themocline that will act as cover. ....
Agreed!

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 pm

"Occupation: old "....now THAT'S funny!

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Sideburns wrote:Thanks. Bookmarked.
Im shocked to see 44.4 on top and 43.3 at the bottom, only 1 degree F difference top to bottom! in 180 fow!
Fahrenheit temperatures....I don't see that - can you tell me where exactly you see that?

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:34 pm

G-Man wrote:When looking at the data regarding water temps, be sure to check the scale so you know how much of a change you have. Sometimes it will appear as though there is a solid thermocline, but in reality it is just showing a slight change in temperature. 0.3 degrees isn't going to cause the fish to move or create a themocline that will act as cover. You will start to see fish spawning in weeds that have survived the winter die-off and all will have done their thing by June. So the void you see in the perch catching during the spring is due to staging for and the actual spawn. The key for the perch isn't so much the water temps as it is the the oxygen levels and the water conditions don't typically start to get wacky in Lake Washington until mid June.
I've read your great reports on Lk. Washington. Where are the fish in March, and what depth as well?
Thanks!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:39 pm

bigfishguy wrote:
Sideburns wrote:Thanks. Bookmarked.
Fahrenheit temperatures....I don't see that - can you tell me where exactly you see that?
Put your curser on the red buoy. Read the stuff in the box that pops up. Then click on 'view latest weather view latest profile'.
Tom.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Thats how I found the data, then I used google to convert each value separately...

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:04 am

Sideburns wrote:Thats how I found the data, then I used google to convert each value separately...
Good thinking.

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:44 am

Getting back to the questions in the OP:
But what about MARCH? No real perch action mentioned looking at all the March reports, so what's the deal? How does it compare to January/February (great fishing then)? Most importantly: what areas and depths!?

Thanks!

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:45 am

Report posted. Thanks for the feedback. Highly under-utilized lake. Did I see more SEAPLANES landing than fellow fishermen? ....well it was close.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:11 am

I don't see a Perch report for Washington?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:22 am

It's there now. :-)

Every report has to be approved by the administration people. Only admin can approve them. Usually takes a couple hours to approve one as Mike or Aaron are notified that there is a report, then they have to have time from their work to get to it. If they are out fishing for the weekend, the reports don't get checked and approved until the weekend is over.
Tom.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Whaaaat? Fishing comes first?!?! :cheers:

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”