Panfish Jig Fishing

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Panfish Jig Fishing

Post by cjrodarme » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:16 am

What are your favorite methods of jigging for panfish? I've seen many variations of jigging from a method similar to ice fishing to a plain un-scented panfish jig and a bobber. What types of jigs do you use the most (grubs, metal jigs, etc.)? Just trying to get a general consensus of what are the most used and best methods of using jigs for panfish.

obryan214
Commander

Re: Panfish Jig Fishing

Post by obryan214 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 pm

never done well jigging for them but have trolled small grubs and caught them.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:47 am

1/64 ounce gitzit jig no plastic tipped with wax worm under a corky and bobber stop put it on two or four pound line amd I don't think it gets any better than that for pan fish lol.

FishinManiac
Petty Officer

Post by FishinManiac » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 am

Depends on what the fish want. I continuously change presentations and lure types until I find what they're looking for. Once I find fish, i fish with whatever presentation, then switch to vertical jigging with a hair jig. However, unless you're fishing deep or have a smaller boat (such as a float tube or kayak) the vertical jigging technique will be tough. To get around that, I use a bobber/jig anywhere from 6"-16" above where the fish are and throw a hair jig tipped with a Gulp! Maggot. Don't forget to retrieve the rig, otherwise it doesn't look like anything! Quick side note, when you're jigging, make sure your jig sits horizontally in the water. If it isn't horizontal on a snap or swivel, directly tie it on. Makes a huge difference.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am

I normally use a small tubelike jig, maybe an inch long in total. Growing up we just called them "crappie jigs" not sure what the real name is. Underneath a stick bobber, varying the depth depending on where the fish and/or weeds are at. Cast out and do a slow twitch/pause retrieve.

noah the angler
Petty Officer

Post by noah the angler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm

power bait grubs work fine for blue gill. :)

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:47 pm

noah the angler wrote:power bait grubs work fine for blue gill. :)

Will they work on Crappie??

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”