Dad wants to go crappie fishin

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Spencerj89
Angler

Dad wants to go crappie fishin

Post by Spencerj89 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Just bought myself a boat and my father really wants to go crappie fishing, unfortunately this is one of the few fish i have never actually caught or fished for so any tips and/or locations would be greatly appreciated....

Spencerj89
Angler

Re: Dad wants to go crappie fishin

Post by Spencerj89 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:23 pm

btw im in the spokane area

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri May 17, 2013 5:36 am

Newman Lake has a very good population of crappies. You can find them on the north end pretty easily. I use a 1/16th oz jig head and a 2 1/2" Berkley Gulp minnow in the olive pearl color. Another good bait is the Panfish Asassin. It's a small soft plastic body with a pointed tail. I normally do well using the smoke and pearl color with the black specs in them. I haven't been out there yet this year but they should be biting by now. Find the weed beds, mainly cabbage and you will find fish.

Good luck

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 am

Don't forget about throwing a Rapala Husky Jerk! You remember those well, right AJ's Dad!!! :cheers:

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:42 pm

With regards to Crappie Fishing on Newman, I have only done it 1 time on Newman with my son and daughter, however I grew up in the Mid-West fishing Crappie all the time! We used anywhere between a 1/16 ounce lead Jig with a Crappie Tube in Chartruese or White and Red. These colors have always been dynamite no matter where I have used em. We have also used a Mister Twister Crappie Spin and Jig which is just a heavier jig head with a tiny spinner attached to the head and just reeled in the water slowly. Using an Ultra Light Rod and Reel with 6 lb test line is the best in my opinion for this type of fishing. Another option is also to use live bait such as Wax Worms or Powerbait. Both of these are tremendous baits for nailing crappies. Tight Lines and Good Luck!

Nate

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm

I do remember those crappies you put in MY boat. 11-12" crappies on a #12 Husky Jerk. If anyone can put a fish in the boat on an oversized bait, it's you. LOL Go big or go home right Doug?

Happy Fishing

Spencerj89
Angler

Post by Spencerj89 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:10 am

Thank you everyone and ill let you know how it goes!

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Sat May 18, 2013 6:10 am

Yes there were a few i put in your boat. I did find one old post on the crappie action I waa getting on Newman. I thought they wrre larger than 10-11". They wete actually in the 13-14" range, and at least one or two 16" fish. Who would have thought??http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... 16#p110816

GCB069
Petty Officer

Post by GCB069 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Twin Lakes in Lincoln County

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”