When will LW crappie heat up? (Larsen Lake also)

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
topdawg47
Warrant Officer

RE:When will LW crappie heat up? (Larsen Lake also)

Post by topdawg47 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:24 pm

bpm2000 wrote:theres definitely cats in that bay right there, and in the arboretum topdawg.

How have you caught them? Worm and sinker or what..

I wish there was channel cats, they give a good fight..
Go Huskies!

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 am

We've always done best by using a weighted float about 2 1/2' above a size 8 hook tipped with worms or crawdad tails back behind the stadium. The best spots are right in the middle of the canal area on cloudy days. At night you'd want to fish the area near the golf course in the arboretum. A double hook setup with a 1/2oz weight works good back in the golf course area. The canal back in there is pretty good but the big bay right were you park at is better.

I like these floats. I think you can get them at Wal-mart too: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 0_100-10-4
Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:58 am

Slabking wrote: We've always done best by using a weighted float about 2 1/2' above a size 8 hook tipped with worms or crawdad tails back behind the stadium. The best spots are right in the middle of the canal area on cloudy days. At night you'd want to fish the area near the golf course in the arboretum. A double hook setup with a 1/2oz weight works good back in the golf course area. The canal back in there is pretty good but the big bay right were you park at is better.

I like these floats. I think you can get them at Wal-mart too: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 0_100-10-4
Dude!!! Great info. Whens your book coming out?:-" I'm serious,you've got a ton of knowledge,this is awesome!!!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:10 am

topdawg47 wrote:
bpm2000 wrote:theres definitely cats in that bay right there, and in the arboretum topdawg.

How have you caught them? Worm and sinker or what..

I wish there was channel cats, they give a good fight..
listen to slabkings advice :D i have accidentally caught a few perch fishing with worms on the bottom and seen others doing so but never targeted them directly.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:17 am

i hit up larson aka blueberry lake today for about 30 minutes. didnt have much time with having a newborn and all. was fishing for crappie with no luck so i tried for bass. on my third cast with my 3 inch senko i got this nice bass. about 2 1/2 pounds or so.
Attachments
first_bass_here_4_29_08_jpg.JPG
first_bass_here_4_29_08_jpg.JPG (151.49 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Slabking wrote: We've always done best by using a weighted float about 2 1/2' above a size 8 hook tipped with worms or crawdad tails back behind the stadium. The best spots are right in the middle of the canal area on cloudy days. At night you'd want to fish the area near the golf course in the arboretum. A double hook setup with a 1/2oz weight works good back in the golf course area. The canal back in there is pretty good but the big bay right were you park at is better.

Slab: When was the last time you fished back in that area? Just wondering
Go Huskies!

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:34 pm

tnj8222 wrote:i hit up larson aka blueberry lake today for about 30 minutes. didnt have much time with having a newborn and all. was fishing for crappie with no luck so i tried for bass. on my third cast with my 3 inch senko i got this nice bass. about 2 1/2 pounds or so.
That's what I'm talking about :cheers:. I love that little lake dude. I think that is the best color senko made right there :salut:.

Topdawg, last time I fished behind the soccer fields (from shore) was early April of '06. I've fished back there since I was a little kid. Sometimes the punkinseeds and cats will move in there really early in the year (we've caught sunfish and cats on Easter Sunday before in there). Have you ever tried fishing from Montlake Playfield? Great place for cats and sunfish there too. The water is pretty shallow but the fish will spawn right in the reeds back there.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Were going out to LW/Union this weekend on my grandpa's boat. Hopefully we can find some.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:08 pm

tnj8222 wrote:i hit up larson aka blueberry lake today for about 30 minutes. didnt have much time with having a newborn and all. was fishing for crappie with no luck so i tried for bass. on my third cast with my 3 inch senko i got this nice bass. about 2 1/2 pounds or so.
woah didnt see that before my last post.
I tried that lake last summer with no luck for any species.
Nice fish

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 am

got another one today. but what sucks is i had a HOG on it jumped right after i set hook then dove. must have been a log there becuase the fish wouldnt budge after it got down. it finally pulled free and my senko came loose off the log or whatever it was. the fish was a easy 5 pounds. got my adrenaline going good.
Attachments
4_30_08_jpg.JPG
4_30_08_jpg.JPG (36.16 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:40 am

tnj8222 wrote:got another one today. but what sucks is i had a HOG on it jumped right after i set hook then dove. must have been a log there becuase the fish wouldnt budge after it got down. it finally pulled free and my senko came loose off the log or whatever it was. the fish was a easy 5 pounds. got my adrenaline going good.
Sweet fish tnj8222! Awesome! Did you catch that at Lake Boren or Larson? Man you got that bassin down pretty darn good man! Congrats on that PIG! Gorgeous fish!

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Nice fishies tnj. I'll probably see you there one of these days. I like to fish worms under bobber for the panfish

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Slabking wrote:
That's what I'm talking about :cheers:. I love that little lake dude. I think that is the best color senko made right there :salut:.

Topdawg, last time I fished behind the soccer fields (from shore) was early April of '06. I've fished back there since I was a little kid. Sometimes the punkinseeds and cats will move in there really early in the year (we've caught sunfish and cats on Easter Sunday before in there). Have you ever tried fishing from Montlake Playfield? Great place for cats and sunfish there too. The water is pretty shallow but the fish will spawn right in the reeds back there.

Slab: You are talking about the area on the little dirt road/path area right? Now, when you saw Montlake playfield, what exact area do you mean? I think I have an idea since I went to UW and fished around Husky stadium area since 2003.
Go Huskies!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:got another one today. but what sucks is i had a HOG on it jumped right after i set hook then dove. must have been a log there becuase the fish wouldnt budge after it got down. it finally pulled free and my senko came loose off the log or whatever it was. the fish was a easy 5 pounds. got my adrenaline going good.
Sweet fish tnj8222! Awesome! Did you catch that at Lake Boren or Larson? Man you got that bassin down pretty darn good man! Congrats on that PIG! Gorgeous fish!

KTK
those are just little guys. i caught both of them at larson. hopefully you will see some pics of pigs pretty soon, but for now these dinks will do.
Anthony

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:17 pm

topdawg47 wrote:Slab: You are talking about the area on the little dirt road/path area right? Now, when you saw Montlake playfield, what exact area do you mean? I think I have an idea since I went to UW and fished around Husky stadium area since 2003.
Yeah that's the spot. Right in the middle of that channel. I've never caught much from the boat house docks other than a few perch. That channel is a whole other story for some reason.

Thanks for the link bpm. That's the other spot. I have not fished it from the bank in about three years but I'm sure there is still water access behind the field. Not the greatest spot but there are fish to be caught.

Matt19
Petty Officer

Post by Matt19 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm

For those of you who have fished Larsen (Blueberry), is there a way to get a float fube on there? I've always wanted to try it but never checked it out.

As for the Aboretum area, I've had good luck off of the floating walkway for perch and sunfish. Also there is a point with a rock shelf at the far end of the walkway that is good for large perch and some smallmouth.

Topdawg 47, I'm surprised you had time to fish down there with all the time you guys spent on football.

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi tnj8222,

You used senkos. I see from the picture that you just rig it in the middle? How do you work it? I have a pack of senkos, and have only used them once, with no luck. Thanks.
Suzanne

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Matt19 wrote:For those of you who have fished Larsen (Blueberry), is there a way to get a float fube on there? I've always wanted to try it but never checked it out.

As for the Aboretum area, I've had good luck off of the floating walkway for perch and sunfish. Also there is a point with a rock shelf at the far end of the walkway that is good for large perch and some smallmouth.

Topdawg 47, I'm surprised you had time to fish down there with all the time you guys spent on football.
I usually went after workouts and during off season after spring ball.
Go Huskies!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:18 pm

hookemdanno wrote:
Hi tnj8222,

You used senkos. I see from the picture that you just rig it in the middle? How do you work it? I have a pack of senkos, and have only used them once, with no luck. Thanks.
you just texas rig them. heres a step by step that shows you how. http://www.wikihow.com/Texas-Rig-a-Plastic-Worm
you dont work them, they work themselves lol. thats a classic saying for senkos, basically you cast it near where fish should be. under a dock, to some brush, or lilly pads. you let the senko fall, once it hits bottom let it sit for a second or two then lift it about a foot and let it drop again. they are very easy to work. if you see anythnig at all in the line, like a small movement, or a "pop" in the line (which comes from the fish inhaling the senko) then reel down and set hook.
Anthony

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”