Bank Fishin' for Walleye... What bait to use?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ameluke
Angler

RE:Bank Fishin' for Walleye... What bait to use?

Post by ameluke » Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Growing up in the midwest and fishing walleye from shore and boat is something that I have had the pleasure of exploring on more than one occasion. Here is my opinion about it all. If you know the structure of the bottom you are fishing and the depth that will be a huge advantage to you. If it is a rocky drop-off, you can use almost anything in the walleye arsenal to get these toothy critters. I have had luck using jigs tipped with worm(enough weight to get to bottom falling at slow to medium speed), deep diving crankbaits, spoons, and off course my favorite, LIVE BAIT!!! But since we fish in WA, NO LIVE BAIT EXCEPT FOR WORMS! Almost makes me want to cry. Anyways, find a spot that is a bit rocky and also sandy works too. Weeds are also a good place to look early or towards nightfall. They move up to feed at night and out in the day. If you are tipping with worms I would recommend the floating rig about 2-4 ft of the bottom depending on depth. Walleye will move up to strike no matter what you may have heard. Cast out as far as you can and do a slow retrieve. If with a jig, i recommend doing a slight jig motion with rod tip up to creat a bouncing action. They normally will strike on the down of the stroke but they have a tendency to hold on longer than bass with food in their mouths so dont worry if you dont feelthe sttrike. I usually jig fast enough that the next motion sets the hook. If you have "gulp" leeches, try a leach seated up next to the jig head in the same motion. Or my favorite all time walleye rig, a pick or bright green/orange head on a white twister tail with a trailor of bait, be it a piece or small worm, perserved minnows or fake replica. Always worked for me. 2 1/2 - 3' size of body on the twister. harnesses can work well also, especially if you are looking at a point on the bank that could be an ambush point for them. again casted out with enough weight for a good long cast and to get it close to the bottom with enough of a retireve to work the blades. Crankbaits can and do also work well, If you use these you need to use one that resembles the bait in the lake and also one that dives deep fast. Walleye are on or close to the bottom so you need to fish on or close to it. they will rise as stated before but not usually too much to go chasing the bait. spoons, fish int he same mannor as above. Walleye tend to be closer to shore more towards dark, dark, and day break. My best advice is to fish them during these times. They like the deeper darker waters during bright daylight. I hope that this will help you. Oh and I DO NOT WORK FOR BERKLEY. I do believe in their products as long as they are used in the correct fashion. They will catch fish just like other plastics if used right. Good luck and hope that this helps. Remember structure is the key to shore fishing Walleye!!!

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”