walleyes?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
G-Man
Admiral

RE:walleyes?

Post by G-Man » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Fishingboy,

I haven't heard of any walleye over 20 pounds being caught in Banks. The majority of large walleye are caught on the Columbia River where they have a varied but almost constant food supply. Other lakes that seem to consistently produce large fish are Moses lake and the Potholes. You can also catch some nice sized fish from shore in the outflow of O'Sullivan dam (Potholes) and where it dumps into Soda Lake. I really enjoy fishing Banks and Roosevelt for walleye as these lakes are so large you don't typically have a number of boats fishing the same area. If a spot gets too crowded, you can just pick up and move to another.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 am

Why is this state so obsessed with a fish that cannot sustain itself. We need to stock lakes with trout, babysit the salmon so those mean ole walleyes dont eat them, and yet these fish still cannot survive. Even these knew engineered fish that cannot reproduce. We actually have people saying we have to watch the limits on Trips. Like they can't just go to their lab, whip out the easy bake over and make some more. Wall-a, a stupid fish that can make people feel good about catching.

Walleye would do that lake a lot of good because for every salmon smolt they eat, there are 15-20 little perch that are going to go away. It does seem odd that this state will not even allow one lake to have Walleye on this side of the mountains. Doesn't that strike somebody as odd, maybe even a little paranoid. Do we really need 20,000 trout lakes? Do we really need 4,000 people fishing a 30 acre lake that just got stocked with 30,000 9 inch fish, to go in and catch their 5 hand fed trout. I guess this state makes money off of people feeling like they actually accomplished something by catching what can only be descirbed as the easiest fish I have ever tried to catch next to maybe small sunfish in a farm pond.

Before we start saying that people are loading up Walleye and shipping them over to this side of the state lets get some proof. I have joked around about it before but it realistically isn't a very likely thing to happen. I mentioned it this summer and somebody thought I was serious. Like I could keep a walleye alive in my livewell in 100 degrees to Wenatchee let alone over the mountains. 80% of the druel and crap that is spilled on this website is isn't factual or even insightful for that matter to begin with.

Those pour vulnerable salmon smolt. Man to read this before the holidays makes a guy tear up inside. What do we do next, start shooting bald eagles and otters for eating up trout in these lakes. Its enough to make me wanna puke. Think of the children, would somebody please for crying out loud think of the children.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:48 am

Joe Heater wrote:Why is this state so obsessed with a fish that cannot sustain itself. We need to stock lakes with trout, babysit the salmon so those mean ole walleyes dont eat them, and yet these fish still cannot survive. Even these knew engineered fish that cannot reproduce. We actually have people saying we have to watch the limits on Trips. Like they can't just go to their lab, whip out the easy bake over and make some more. Wall-a, a stupid fish that can make people feel good about catching.

Walleye would do that lake a lot of good because for every salmon smolt they eat, there are 15-20 little perch that are going to go away. It does seem odd that this state will not even allow one lake to have Walleye on this side of the mountains. Doesn't that strike somebody as odd, maybe even a little paranoid. Do we really need 20,000 trout lakes? Do we really need 4,000 people fishing a 30 acre lake that just got stocked with 30,000 9 inch fish, to go in and catch their 5 hand fed trout. I guess this state makes money off of people feeling like they actually accomplished something by catching what can only be descirbed as the easiest fish I have ever tried to catch next to maybe small sunfish in a farm pond.

Before we start saying that people are loading up Walleye and shipping them over to this side of the state lets get some proof. I have joked around about it before but it realistically isn't a very likely thing to happen. I mentioned it this summer and somebody thought I was serious. Like I could keep a walleye alive in my livewell in 100 degrees to Wenatchee let alone over the mountains. 80% of the druel and crap that is spilled on this website is isn't factual or even insightful for that matter to begin with.

Those pour vulnerable salmon smolt. Man to read this before the holidays makes a guy tear up inside. What do we do next, start shooting bald eagles and otters for eating up trout in these lakes. Its enough to make me wanna puke. Think of the children, would somebody please for crying out loud think of the children.
So...what are you trying to say? :-k

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am

Walleye are not going to eat as many salmon smolt and trout as you think.

Nobody is bringing Walleye across the mountains to do their own stocking.

Trout fishing is one of the most ridiculously easy fishes to catch.

This state spends millions to promote a fish that cannot sustain itself.

Do we really need every lake in this state full of trout?

Salmon are pussies.

I guess that is about it.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

hinds2912
Petty Officer

Post by hinds2912 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Heat,

You're getting your blood pressure up! I do agree with you that it is odd how much money the state puts into planting one non-native species (Rainbow Trout) and eradicating any other species that competes with their darling Rainbows. Sprague lake is a classic example where they blamed Walleye for a problem being caused by Carp overpopulation. Now, after killing off the lake, they refused to replant the Walleye claiming the lake would get more use if it was a Rainbow fishery. Well, you can still drive by Sprague every day and see miles of unused water and only one or two boats! It just goes to show you how little WDFW knows about human nature!

I do like fishing for Salmon, though. If you check out the picture in River Fishing-Drano Salmon from late August, you'll know why my wife and I are now fans of Chinook!

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Walleye are not going to eat as many salmon smolt and trout as you think.

This state spends millions to promote a fish that cannot sustain itself.

Do we really need every lake in this state full of trout?

Salmon are pussies.

A) Please by aware of the language you use. Mike and Aaron strive to provide a family friendly site.
B) I would encourage you to try fishing for trout outside of a stocker lake. Fly fishing for trout in streams isn't the same as hucking a worm under a bobber into a put and take lake.
C) Salmon are not weak. The life cycle they endure, traveling hundreds of miles out to sea and then somehow managing to return to the exact same river/creek is remarkable to say the least. Regarding the fight they put up when hooked: Much better then Walleye's.....

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:31 am

First off, anyone that thinks I'm a trout and salmon only guy would be mistaken. I've previously expressed my views on trout stocking throughout the state and you'll find that many of us think along the same lines. See my posts on Sprague for example: Sprague Lake Enhancement As this site gets traffic from a wide demographic I wanted to make perfectly clear that planting fish without the WDFW's approval is illegal. I would hope that all members of this site abide by this law and not condone, partake in or even infer that this type of activity is acceptable. Again, remember that there are impressionable young fisher folk who use this site.
Even with the best intentions, man has a poor track record when it comes to introducing new species to a given ecosystem so I understand the WDFW being gun shy when it comes to rehabilitating a lake or introducing a new species. I'm sure we would all love to be able to fish for a vast variety of species within a short drive from our home, but that can't always be the case. I'd bet that there are lakes in Western Washington that could be planted with walleye and not adversely effect a local anadromous run of fish. My guess as to why this has not yet happened is the State believes that it would then be too easy for folks to catch and transport those fish to other bodies of water in Western Washington. That being said, I am 100% sure that the walleye caught in Lake Washington was not planted by the State. I am more than happy to enjoy what our area has been naturally blessed with and do not feel an overwhelming need to transform it into something it wasn't meant to be.

Peace

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Walleye are not going to eat as many salmon smolt and trout as you think.

This state spends millions to promote a fish that cannot sustain itself. The can sustain themselves quite well if left alone and if they wernt so easy to catch and over fished, thats exactly why the state restocks them. Its easy to sell to the public at large. I would say most people who get a fishing license are not "Anglers". The general public would not buy the licenses if they didnt catch the fish.

Do we really need every lake in this state full of trout? Not every, what else are the poor lil Muskys gonna eat.

Salmon are pussies. But very tasty:cheers:

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”