Rumors of Walleye in LK Washington?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flatbottom777
Angler

Rumors of Walleye in LK Washington?

Post by flatbottom777 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Ive been hearing that Lk Washington is now populated with walleye. Is this true or not? If it is anyone have ideas of where they are at? I fish for bass there all the time but haven't accidentally hooked any like you would in eastern washington. I feel like there rocky hideouts aren't in Lk WA. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Rumors of Walleye in LK Washington?

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 am

There have been walleye caught during research netting of the lake, including recently. However the fish do not look in the best of shape and there have been no smaller fish caught suggesting that they are just fish that were dumped into the lake illegally. The real savior is that the lake/system doesn't have the necessary spawning conditions for the walleye to take hold. As much as I love walleye, I don't want them in this system, it's messed up enough as it is.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:09 am

I posted this Seattle Times article few weeks back. G Mans right, prob no spawning options.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/othe ... ye-salmon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 pm

BARCHASER wrote:I posted this Seattle Times article few weeks back. G Mans right, prob no spawning options.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/othe ... ye-salmon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're worried that it would affect the sockeye smolts. Considering that the sockeye havent been open since 2006, I'd trade walleye for sockeye.

viking fan
Angler

Post by viking fan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:49 pm

g-man, what spawning condition could you possibly be referring too. they spawn just like perch as they are one. ever caught any perch in lw.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Not really, for good walleye reproduction, they need cold water, preferably slow moving, with a rocky bottom to help hide/protect their single eggs from other fish who would eat them. Lake Washington has a very limited amount of this kind of structure and a plethora of marine creatures who would snap up their eggs in a heartbeat. Perch, on the other hand, release a long sticky ribbon of eggs in the dense, weedy areas of the lake, and tolerate the warmer waters of the shallows. And yes, I do catch perch out of Lake Washington and today I also caught my first rock bass from this lake as well. Seems their numbers are on the rise...

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Rock bass? Good grief never knew they were in there.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”