New Washington Walleye Record

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

New Washington Walleye Record

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:12 pm

This fish was caught near Tri Cities, here's the link to Northwest Sportsman's article, more to follow in next month's issue as well. http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/ ... r-walleye/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: New Washington Walleye Record

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 pm

That's quite a fish! 20.32 pounds busting the old record by a pound!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:57 pm

That is one heck of a fish and a good fisherman to be able to get the monster in the boat while being by his self. Congats sir. I was reading the comments at the bottom of the page and one guy said that it should not be a record because it is a pre spawn female. I never will figure out why guys that say things like that can't just fish the way they want to and keep their comments to their self's about about how other folks fish and what they keep and what they throw back etc. This guy didn't do any thing against the law and he accomplished some thing that most of us only dream about. Thanks for the post kevinb.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting, beauty! Caught some big walleye with my grandfather back in the day but nothing like that!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 pm

No problem, just wish I could say I've caught a walleye at even half of that weight. Turns out that fish was caught just a day before the Big Eye tournament. I see what it was given that title, several big walleyes caught in 2 days but I believe most, if not all were released. As for the gentleman that caught the new record, I have no issue with it but for some it turns into a hot topic. It makes me wonder if Mike Hepper (previous record) also was given grief.

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Just found out that the fish has been officially certified as the new WA state record.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:55 pm

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

March 5, 2014
or Bruce Baker, (360) 902-2764

New State Fishing Record: Walleye (Sander vitrius)

Caught by John Grubenhoff of Pasco, WA, in Lake Wallula (Columbia River), Benton County, on Feb. 28, 2014

Weight: 20.32 lbs
Total Length: 35.50 inches (90 cm)
Girth: 22.75 inches (57.5 cm)
Fishing method/gear: Trolling in 22 feet of water upstream along a current break at 0.8 mph and using a Rapala® J-13 lure 6 feet behind a 2 oz. "bottom walker" weight.

Conditions: Sunny, but with a cold front coming in the next day. Water temperature: 37.2 degrees; air temperature: upper 40s.

Species description: Walleye are extremely popular sport fish everywhere they occur, and are known for their exquisite flavor. They are native to the Midwest United States and were first identified in Washington about 1960 in Banks Lake. They have since spread throughout the Columbia Basin and the Columbia River from Lake Roosevelt, downstream to near Longview. Washington is known nationwide for its walleye fishing.

Previous record: Taken Feb. 5, 2007 in Lake Wallula (Columbia River) by Mike Hepper of Richland, WA

Weight: 19.3 lbs
Total Length: 33.7 inches
Girth: 22.2 inches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:14 pm

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/No-f ... 61741.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Fishman_Kuzan
Petty Officer

Post by Fishman_Kuzan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 pm

To all concerned with the killing of the new record fish and protecting big female broodstock walleye... it seems I read an article about the new record holder... seems it said he catches many big walleye (18, 19 pound females) and releases them. He knew this one was special so he took it. All I can say is hats off to him and there are plenty of other females to contribute to future broods, so everyone keep fishin'!

Fishman_Kuzan
Petty Officer

Post by Fishman_Kuzan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 pm

P.S. Will post article if I find it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 pm

I didn't post that link of the busy-bodies crying because I feel it is nobody's business that he kept it.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Wash ... 25741.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

link from the above article;

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/m ... misguided/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 am

I would rather have salmon in the river than Walleye. Walleye are not native, and eat lots of salmon babies. that is the reason that WDFW raised/lifted limits on the Columbia, they want us to catch and kill. They have a large effect on Lake Roosevelt too! Love to fish for them, love to eat them, but I support getting them out of the Columbia. Just wait until the Northern Pike get well established in the Columbia, they are even more aggressive that Walleye.
Eat, sleep, fish

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 am

ncwflounderer wrote:I would rather have salmon in the river than Walleye. Walleye are not native, and eat lots of salmon babies. that is the reason that WDFW raised/lifted limits on the Columbia, they want us to catch and kill. They have a large effect on Lake Roosevelt too! Love to fish for them, love to eat them, but I support getting them out of the Columbia. Just wait until the Northern Pike get well established in the Columbia, they are even more aggressive that Walleye.
Agree that I'd prefer salmon/steelhead than walleye but not sure its an either/or proposition. Same with the pike. They both will eat their own and other predatory fish that also eat salmon/steelhead smolt. When it comes to salmon/steelhead I think invasive species are way down the list of problems they face but very easy to blame because killing them is a somewhat easy "actionable" plan compared to other problems (effectiveness arguments aside). What we've done to their rivers would be #1 in my mind, followed by netting/over-harvest. These are a lot harder to take action against for various reasons.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”