How about whitefish?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ZogTheFuzzy
Petty Officer

How about whitefish?

Post by ZogTheFuzzy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Okay, maybe I'm becoming a junk fish junkie. I know that my first memories fishing were for sucker fish in the South Umpqua river in SW Oregon. I don't remember how they tasted, but I do remember catching them with my dad and one of his friends.

Anyway, has anyone recently catch some whitefish in the Columbia Basin area? I hear Moses Lake is supposed to have a fairly good population of sizable whitefish. We caught quite a few in a lake up north 3 years ago (and they are delicious...very nice meat...in spite of being considered "junk fish"). But, since we don't get up there very often, I was wondering if other folks have encountered this species in the Moses Lake area, or anywhere else in Washington state for that matter.

Zog
Columbia River Archery
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." A.K. Best

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout..." Paul O'Neil

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown, Fisherman's Spring, 1951

Columbia River Archery

panfisher
Captain

RE:How about whitefish?

Post by panfisher » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Potholes Res. holds a good population. most rivers have them also.

lonnie197272
Warrant Officer

Post by lonnie197272 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:44 am

Moses doesnt hold very many whitefish. There is a population that migrates thru but about 5 or 6 years ago there was a summer kill of whitefish. They were all over the surface dead and very large ones at that. I asked the Bio about it and he said that Moses doesnt have deep enough holes for them to survive the warm summer temps with good oxygen levels. Potholes Res. has a great whitefish pop. if you can find them. I caught several of them out from the mouth of Crab Creek (had the state record back in 01 but didnt realize you cant freeze them weighed in at 7.10lbs on certified scale! Bummer!!!). Soda Lake has quite a few also. We used to ice fish for them years ago. Hope this helps.

kjackson
Petty Officer

Post by kjackson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Things may have changed since I last fished there (maybe a dozen years or so ago), but the Potholes Canal just below the dam was good for lake whitefish that would move up it in the fall. The canal was good all the way to where it dumped into Soda. Banks has (or had) masses of lake whitefish, and there were some in Rufus and Roosevelt, but I never saw concentrations of them.

The Columbia below Priest Rapids used to have a good winter whitefish fishery as well, Most rivers have some whitefish in them, but the numbers really depend upon the system and the time of the year.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm

I dont know who call whitefish "junk fish" except maybe uneducated fisherman. Smoked they are excellent and they fight good and there are lots of them. I recently saw a white fish that someone and killed and left to rot on the cowlitz that would have pushed 20"

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:10 am

crankbait42 wrote:I dont know who call whitefish "junk fish" except maybe uneducated fisherman. Smoked they are excellent and they fight good and there are lots of them. I recently saw a white fish that someone and killed and left to rot on the cowlitz that would have pushed 20"
Yep, excellent table fare.
"One more......."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:18 pm

When I was young, maybe 12 or 13, my grandpa and I fished for them on Lake Roosevelt near the mouth of Willmont (sp) Creek. We caught fish until our arms tired out and they were all big, between 2-5 pounds. Excellent table fare, although I remember them as being kind of bony. We fried them up in beer batter just like Walleye, they were damn good.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”