New panfisher needs help!

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

New panfisher needs help!

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:52 pm

I fish for bass in a few lakes and notice the panfish everywhere. I am going on a trip soon and I'd like to know what is the best/easiest way to catch these from the banks of lakes. Also what are the best/worst tasting panfish? Do panfish taste different depending on the size of the fish? What size is best? Are they tough to cook? Bony? Any good recipes?

thanks guys

Matt
Admiral

RE:New panfisher needs help!

Post by Matt » Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Here is the rig of choice basic slip bobber rig:

I usually just use a size 6 gama hook with a tiny piece of worm (hardly ANY worm is necessary, most panfish will eat the just a tiny 1/8th inch section of worm). I usually start with about a 1" piece and just keep using it until it falls off or looks to worn out to use any more. If you prefer artificial just take the split shots out of the equation and ad a small jig head (1/32oz - 1/4 oz) with either a marabou jig or a twirl tail grub and work the bobber back to you with a pull stop pull stop retrieve done very slowly. Set your bobber stop so you are about 6 inches - 2 feet up off the bottom. You will also catch trout and other fish with this setup as well.

I think crappie and perch are about the best panfish to eat, but I would only mess with them if they are fairly large. Smaller bluegill, perch, and the like are really bony and a ***** to clean!! For perch, I'd say anything over about 10" is a keeper. Fillet and belly bone them, remove the pin bones too with tweezers if you so desire. I like them beer battered or just fried in butter with breadcrumbs with some tots or fries. Fish tacos are also good, just lightly sear the fish, then add taco seasoning or experiment with your own blend of cilantro, Cayenne, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, etc. and see what you come up with.

Slip bobber rig can't really be beat for panfish. My goto when fishing for perch.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm

My favorite panfish is perch, but Bluegill and sunfish are good to eat also. This time of year is a great time to get them. They'll bed in big groups and they're usually the larger ones. Filleting them isn't too bad, just need practice.

I typically pan fry mine with some sort of corn meal dry batter you can buy at any grocery stores. When you pan fry pan fish the pin bones will get fried up as well and they become brittle.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:12 pm

My favorite is perch too, filleted and dipped in beer batter. Deepfried til they're crispy. Hmmmmm perch chips! Matt's right jus a bobber and a small piece of worm or jig almost always takes'em.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for the help guys seems to be all I need to get things going!

(Kzoo I might just use a dropshot rig with smaller bait because of all the bluegill hits I get in addition to huge largies!)

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri May 28, 2010 9:08 am

Bassmaster2008 wrote:Thanks for the help guys seems to be all I need to get things going!

(Kzoo I might just use a dropshot rig with smaller bait because of all the bluegill hits I get in addition to huge largies!)
Everytime I take a newbie fishing at Lake Washington, I set them up with a dropshot with a nightcrawler, Lots of action with the perch and smallies.

I don't know about dropshots on largies, some guys say the hooks are too small.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”