4 day hiking trip with lots of good fishing

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
pcisko
Angler

4 day hiking trip with lots of good fishing

Post by pcisko » Sat May 08, 2010 10:44 am

My father and I want to take a three or four day hiking/camping trip this summer up in the mountains. We want to go to a place with good finshing. Does anyone have a recomendataion of a trip like this in the NW washington area? It would be nice to be able to hike to a new lake everyday.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:4 day hiking trip with lots of good fishing

Post by The Quadfather » Sat May 08, 2010 11:42 am

pcisko wrote:My father and I want to take a three or four day hiking/camping trip this summer up in the mountains. We want to go to a place with good finshing. Does anyone have a recomendataion of a trip like this in the NW washington area? It would be nice to be able to hike to a new lake everyday.
Check out the Pacific Crest trail. Of course it goes all the way between Mexico and Canada. But any of the areas between Snoqualmie and Stevens pass have lots of lakes. I have spent much time hiking in this area. You will want to wait until probably August. Alpine lake trout are not going to be all that big, usually 10-11" and often smaller. They are fiesty fighters and eager for food since being under frozen water for the winter.
If you Google the "Washington Hi-lakers" you can find their website and forum. Somebody may give you a more specific location for a lake or two.
I like Surprise lake located along the P.C. trail between Stevens pass and Skykomish, within a walk of that is Lake Josephine up behind the ski area on Stevens, with access to Janus lake.
There is a large chain of lakes here. If you Google for Big Heart Lake Skykomish.... you should find a google maps pic. at some point that will show you the chain of lakes. There are a lot of reviews of the hike, etc. No, I have not fished these lake, but the first ones I mentioned I have fished with good success. I would not expect anything less from the lakes in that chain.
I hope that I can make the time to this during the coming summer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1 ... CAoQ8gEwAA

When you click on the above link.... Look down below the town Skykomish (drag the map) you will find Big Heart lake.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat May 08, 2010 4:40 pm

These sound great. Thanks for starting this topic and all those who posted.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat May 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Blue Lake just west of Liberty Bell on Hiway 20. I have fished it many years back and did well catching nice cutthroat. North of there on the other side of Highway 20 is Cutthroat Lake. Caught fish there also. There are many lakes in that area. It is one of the most beautiful regions of Washington that I have seen.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 08, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:31 am

I would recommend Image Lake, Lyman Lake and Hart Lake.

Go to Lake Chelan, Hop on the lady of the lake, get off at lucerne. Take the bus up to holden. Day 1 hike to hart lake (camp there 1st night), day 2 Lyman lake (camp there 2nd and 3rd night) and day 3 Image lake. Image lake is only about 3 miles from Lyman Lake.

The area is goregous and there is a ton of high mountain rainbows!

PM me if you would like some more info.
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed May 19, 2010 9:28 am

You might try 7 lakes basin up on the Olympic Peninsula...You start at Sol Duc Hot Springs I believe and make a big circle around the basin. I haven't been there in many years but as I remember the trail is fairly easy and the fishing is really nice. We had a great time as the weather was beautiful. Fly and bobber was the go to setup. we brought a few worms and they worked well also. For the 5 days we took we never saw anyone. The hike can be taken easily in 3 days.
Have fun where ever you decide to go. Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 28, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”