Sunset Lake

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Palmer
Warrant Officer

Sunset Lake

Post by Palmer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:34 am

Two friends and I hiked through the forest with a map and compass to Sunset Lake back in '94. Off Hwy 2 and out of Index follow Trout Creek. My buddy wanted to catch Goldens there but instead caught a couple of nice 3-4#ers. They were about 18-20" with a nice belly. One was a rainbow and the other was a cutt westslope. My other friend walked to the other side and said he could see some goldens but they didn't bite.

We heard a growl and on the way back down, there were cougar tracks following us up the mountain about a quarter of the way. He ate a couple grouse that must have been watching us when the stealthy beast pounced on its dinner. I think it would be wise to pack protection in this area. There is very little hiking in this area and it is thick with game as evidenced by the tracks of deer, goat, and cat.

There is a Federal bill to make this a protected area free from logging, vehicle access, and hunting. However, the name Sky Valley should be Skykomish Valley. Even if you're not American Indian, I think we Americans have a rich history here to be proud of and shouldn't change the beautiful names of the regions around us.

Some of the fallen trees are so big that a person can not climb over them and instead has to walk around them. These trees must be 500 years old.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”