Info resources for high lakes?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bscman
Warrant Officer

Info resources for high lakes?

Post by Bscman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi guys!

I was wondering if anyone has any good books, web-sites, or other information sources related to high lakes in Washington.

I've scoured the net and found some useable info on the WDFW, trailblazers, and hi-laker's websites...but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I also browsed my local book stores, but many of the hiking/fishing destination books feature information that is 10-20 years old--or more!!!

For the most part I would just like to find a few resources that share details about which lakes are fishable, and which are not...Information on if they are stocked (and by whom) would also be appreciated.
I've hiked into many of the area high lakes just for the sake of hiking, but I would like to give my hand and C-N-R fishing at some of these. I don't want to be the *goof* on the mountain fishing the fishless lake!
Some information about trail length, elevation, confirmed species, and any other useful information would be great as well.

So far, the best book I have found for my purpose (but not yet purchased) is by John E. Moore, A Fisherman's Guide to Selected High Lakes of Northwest Washington

I have also heard the 100 Hikes: Washington's Alpine Lakesis a good one as well--but it doesn't encompass all of the area's I'm interested in. The 100 Hike series of books does seem pretty good, though.

Any and all help would be much appreciated, rather posted here or by private messages. I know many are protective of their information regarding high lakes.
Thanks!
-Brett
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

RE:Info resources for high lakes?

Post by Bscman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Awww, come on!
Someone has to have a good website on high lakes, or some books worth recommending!

FWIW, I picked up the book mentioned above my John E. Moore and also discovered he lives only a few miles away from me...kinda cool. Good book, worth the read IMHO.

Any more info would be great!
-Brett
(Keeping optimistic!)

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Two posts down from your is this:
quadradomus wrote:http://www.hilakers.org/index.html

I had forgotten about this group. For those interested in the alpine lakes, you should check out their website. These guys looked very organized and friendly. Do go to the header bar called "Knowledge base" and look under that for their slideshow. There is some really nice stuff here. The attached photo came from their slide show. This actually one of the methods used to stock alpine lakes, alot of it is done by horseback, i.e. hand etc.
This looks helpful...check it out.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth
Angler

Post by Smooth » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Don't forget Washington Trails Association for info on current trail and snow conditions.

www.wta.org

Cheers...!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:53 pm

Terry Rudnick's book Washington Fishing list some alpine lakes. I usually check this book first when searching for lakes. If you can't find info for what you are looking for just call the closest ranger station to the lake you are looking at. They will know if they are fishable and which rules and regs to follow. I'm sure they would be glad to talk to you, ya know they don't have much to do and get bored quick sitting in that office all day. As far as info on actual lakes that you can't find in fishing resources, keep to the hiking books. They have a lot of good stuff in there and then just call the station to find out about the fishing.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”