Alpine Lakes suggestions?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Alpine Lakes suggestions?

Post by A9 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm

quadradomus wrote:The Alpine lakes forum is usually kinda weak in terms of input.... but I am very excited that there seems to be some early summer fever here.
If anyone,, Kevinb, or Kuttkilla, etc are interested in getting together for even a one day hike-in, please let me know. I would be very interested in this.
Those alpine lakes hit with dry flies, or a spinner just can't be beat.. Give it a thought.
Count me in! I know there are a few up near Snoqualmie pass just off I-90, not a far drive from here and not a very long hike either....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm

quadradomus wrote:
The Alpine lakes forum is usually kinda weak in terms of input.... but I am very excited that there seems to be some early summer fever here.

Those alpine lakes hit with dry flies, or a spinner just can't be beat.. Give it a thought.
Especially with the dry flies. When up this way towards the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River (which is excellent to fish as well with dries) using basic patterns such as elk hair caddis or royal wulf's in sizes 10-14 seem to always work for the smaller fish. The larger fish that you will encounter up here are more difficult to hook but your standard hare's ear, pheasant tail nymphs, or caddis nymphs are all sure bets and may catch the attention of the larger trout in the lakes/creeks/rivers.

One secret little gem of a lake I love, which I should probably keep sealed, but oh well, is Pumpkin Seed Lake...and no there are no pumpkinseeds in the actual lake :-" . It is at 4270 feet in elevation and is a tiny lake -- 2 acres abouts. It is 3/4 miles south of Quartz Lake and is stocked with rainbow fry backpacked in and produces fish that are consistently over 16" -- no joke!! :-$ It is accessible from Myrtle Lake trail.

Lunker Lake which is only 3.5 acres is SE .2MI of Rock Lake. It has some huge bows in it -- 18" ++
No one really camps here all that much...it's a great place. I find hitting up Pumpinseed, Hi-Low, Quartz, Green Ridge, Rock, Judy, and Goat Lake to all be doable in this hike...it is an overnight thing but if only one lake was targeted, it could be one day in and out if you were intermediate to advanced hiker.

I love the central cascades alpine area. Hiking it has been a passion of mine for quite some time. It takes a lot of stamina and love of the sport of hiking and fly fishing, but it is well worth it end the end...especially cooking smores over a campfire with some brew and the rays of the moon hitting off the cobblestone cliffs on a clear mid-July evening as large bows slurp right and left behind you in the lake...it's pretty sweet...plus it's just you and nature...no lawn mowers, teens throwing fish in garbage cans, no boomboxes blaring, etc. .:bounce:

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 21, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 21, 2008 9:29 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
quadradomus wrote:
The Alpine lakes forum is usually kinda weak in terms of input.... but I am very excited that there seems to be some early summer fever here.

Especially with the dry flies. When up this way towards the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River (which is excellent to fish as well with dries) using basic patterns such as elk hair caddis or royal wulf's in sizes 10-14 seem to always work for the smaller fish. The larger fish that you will encounter up here are more difficult to hook but your standard hare's ear, pheasant tail nymphs, or caddis nymphs are all sure bets and may catch the attention of the larger trout in the lakes/creeks/rivers.

One secret little gem of a lake I love, which I should probably keep sealed, but oh well, is Pumpkin Seed Lake...and no there are no pumpkinseeds in the actual lake :-" . It is at 4270 feet in elevation and is a tiny lake -- 2 acres abouts. It is 3/4 miles south of Quartz Lake and is stocked with rainbow fry backpacked in and produces fish that are consistently over 16" -- no joke!! :-$ It is accessible from Myrtle Lake trail.

Lunker Lake which is only 3.5 acres is SE .2MI of Rock Lake. It has some huge bows in it -- 18" ++
No one really camps here all that much...it's a great place. I find hitting up Pumpinseed, Hi-Low, Quartz, Green Ridge, Rock, Judy, and Goat Lake to all be doable in this hike...it is an overnight thing but if only one lake was targeted, it could be one day in and out if you were intermediate to advanced hiker.

I love the central cascades alpine area. Hiking it has been a passion of mine for quite some time. It takes a lot of stamina and love of the sport of hiking and fly fishing, but it is well worth it end the end...especially cooking smores over a campfire with some brew and the rays of the moon hitting off the cobblestone cliffs on a clear mid-July evening as large bows slurp right and left behind you in the lake...it's pretty sweet...plus it's just you and nature...no lawn mowers, teens throwing fish in garbage cans, no boomboxes blaring, etc. .:bounce:

KTK
I like it. Sounds beautiful,the hike alone would already be worth the trip.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu May 22, 2008 12:01 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I think littleriver "windmilled" himself out of here.
Wow, Bill, that's too good...LMAO! :thumright KTK

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 am

kutthroatkilla wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I think littleriver "windmilled" himself out of here.

I joke about that but I wish he hadn't left the forum. He made a lot of good input on other topics.

One other thing. While Washington has a lot of alpine lakes with fish there are also alpine streams with trout. Very fun to fish. Once the spring melt happens and subsides I'm going to try and go back to two of my spots this year. I'm ready to pass them on to the next generation.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu May 22, 2008 10:58 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
kutthroatkilla wrote:

I joke about that but I wish he hadn't left the forum. He made a lot of good input on other topics.

One other thing. While Washington has a lot of alpine lakes with fish there are also alpine streams with trout. Very fun to fish. Once the spring melt happens and subsides I'm going to try and go back to two of my spots this year. I'm ready to pass them on to the next generation.
I know! I wish littleriver would have stuck around because he knew so much about Alpine Hikes and excursions and I could ask him anything and he would have an amazing answer with everything to explain it all -- he was one good dude. Regardless, I'm glad you are going back to your spots and willing to share them with our next generation.

We are planning a day trip in late July -- it'll be:

Quadradomous - Chris
Sam Kafelafish - Jeff
kutthroatkilla - Me
& Kevinb - Kevin

It will be a quality trip. I'm working on the details right now. If you want to come along for the day let me know. We're looking at Pumpkinseed lake/ and Spider Lake right now...easy day hikes if you're in good shape...

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 22, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Anyone else on board? I don't cuddle....unless you have money:-"
If we get the chance. I wouldn't mind checking out troutcowboy's lake.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”