PCT HWY 2 - HWY 20

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rabbits
Petty Officer

PCT HWY 2 - HWY 20

Post by Rabbits » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:20 pm

I am planning a hike from hwy 2 - hwy 20 on the pacific crest trail. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this hike or may have any information on it.

I am looking for things like water stops and resupply locations. Maybe good places to camp and where the starting locations on this stretch of the trail actually are.

I have found that PCTA.org is very helpful. I have found a few other things online and plan to visit my local REI co-op for advice and call the ranger station in the area I plan to hike for additional permit info and fires, etc.

I have just started planning it, so I figured I would plug into this resource as well.

thanks

-rabbits
Rum is good.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:PCT HWY 2 - HWY 20

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 am

You might check with REI. I know people who have done the I-90 to highway 2 stretch. One thing they do/did was get Greyhound to drop them off and pick them up as there's was/is stops on top of both passes. At one time I had an article on the 90-highway 2 section so I imagine there's one for the section you are interested in.

Good luck on the hike.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Rabbits,

go to a place such as REI and they will have books written by people who have hiked the whole thing... Can. to Mex. You probably will be able to find a section which covers the area you are talking about. Quite a few people have written about the whole hike experience.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:41 pm

HEY, don't forget you rod. I am not positive, but there might have been some lakes up through there that had Golden Trout planted in them some years back. Golden Trout are the most beautiful fish I have ever caught and or seen.
Well its not called Catching!

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 pm

The greyhound idea is really good. I think I might do that.

And I will definitely bring my rod, I don't really hike to hike. I hike to fish.

I haven't stopped into REI yet but I will definitely do that. A

Any other ideas/resources are appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Rum is good.

jpd45acp
Angler

Post by jpd45acp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:47 pm

I would check out washington trail assoc. @wta.org. They usually have good trail reports and possibly links to other sites. I am a big fan of the 100 hikes series of books, although I am not sure if they have that stretch of the pacific crest trail described as a single hike.
Cheers

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:34 pm

There's a book that breaks it into sections.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:40 pm

When I was in 6th grade, I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail into Stehekin with my family, and then took the Lady of the Lake (kind of like a person ferry that goes up and down the lake) to Chelan. It was pretty cool. I was so young at the time though, I don't remember any of the details. I'm pretty sure that we started out at HW 20 though. We had a timeshare in Wapato Pointe at the time, so the Lady of the Lake dropped us off right in Manson and we walked with our packs through town and into the resort. I have to admit that felt kinda weird.

A side note, we had two bear encounters on the trip. Both were black bears, and both bolted at the sight and sound of us, but something to be aware of. Don't hike too stealthily, or you might find yourself sneaking up on something you don't want to tangle with.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”