Mad Lake

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mallard83
Commodore

Mad Lake

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Did any of you fish Mad Lake (just northeast of Lake Wenatchee) this last summer? I was curious as to how the fishing was there these days. I havn't been there for a number of years now and was curious if it still produced well. How about Lost Lake or Two Little Lakes near there? My dad, brother and I used to fish these lakes fairly often. We ride dirt bikes and these are some of the few high lakes that you can still ride a moterized vehicle to and it is great to have the best of both worlds in this beautiful area.

Any reports would be great because we will finally be going back this year after a couple year hiatus and was just curious as what to expect. We will be going no matter good or bad fishing as this is a very beautiful portion of the state and is a shame if you never get to experience it for yourself. Blue Creek Meadow and Whistling Pig Meadow are two of the most gorgeous and peaceful places I have found in Washington.

gpc
Admiral

RE:Mad Lake

Post by gpc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:47 pm

Whats up Mallard nice to hear from you again. I like it in that part of the state. Never fished Mad lake, or any of the other lakes, but it sounds like I am missing out. I hate going up through Seattle to make it all the way to highway 2. But next time I hit up fish lake I will have to check these lakes out.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Just realize though that these are hike, bike, horseback or dirtbike in lakes. From the closest trailhead (Maverick Saddle) Lost Lake is roughly 4 miles in, Mad is 8 miles and Two Little Lakes is aprox. the same as Mad. But when I used to fish Mad and Two Little Lakes in the summer it was always productive for 8-14" trout (with an occasional larger) in an awesome setting. Deffinatly worth checking out even if on foot. The trail from Maverick Saddle to Mad Lake, is for the most part fairly level with little elevation gain and sure footing the whole way minus a few small stream crossings.

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:00 pm

I fished it last year and it was pretty good. But I believe that it was stocked with cutts. Didn't catch any of those, but what that means is the rainbows will more than likely die out. The cutts will eat the rainbows eggs during spawning. Happens to several alpine lakes, but the cutts are more resilient to the freezing. I am unsure if that lake freezes over, but I am sure it does.

This is info from the local ranger that I heard while talking to him.

I caught about eight fish ranging from 8-12". Flyfishing with wooly buggers out of a fly tube. Fish hit light.

Good luck.
Rum is good.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Hey Rabbits are you talking about Mad Lake or one of the other three lakes? I ask because when I fished Mad Lake last and all the times before that, I mostly caught cutthroats. The last time I fished it was probably about 4 years ago and I caught tons of cutts but only a few bows.

Nice to hear the fishing is still productive though. Thanks.

The cutts we used to catch averaged 8-14" with a few slightly larger mixed in. It is really neat fishing such a clear lake and beeing able to see a lot of the fish actually bite.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:59 am

It is quite possible i have mistaken this lake with another. I would not put it passed me. I actually didn't know there were other lakes in the area, well... I did, but not so close. But as far as I know it is still a quality little lake and a really cool looking one too. good luck.
Rum is good.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

There are three other lakes in the general area. They are Lost Lake and "Two Little Lakes" (this is what they show as in a normal map but the Two Little Lakes also go by other names ). It seems that bow's are more predominant in the northern most "Two Little lakes" and cutts are predominant in in the south lake, Lost Lake and Mad Lake. At least that is how it used to be. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”