Mud Lake - Possible Hike?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rabbits
Petty Officer

Mud Lake - Possible Hike?

Post by Rabbits » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:02 pm

I want to try and get to Mud Lake, Whatcom County.

It is just north east of Lost lake and right outside Larrabee State Park Boundaries. I looked it up on Google maps and there were no roads to it. And no trails that I could find.

I did find a possible trail in my Washington atlas & gazetteer. It is just some faint lines leading from Samish Lake Park. But it has been well used so they may be earlier markings that I forgot about. I have no decent maps of the area east of larrabee state park. I mapped out the possible trail that I found and it was about 3 3/4 miles long.

Has anyone gone to this lake? Or have any reliable resources such as maps, someone I can call, etc.

And if someone has been to this lake did you fish it? How was it? And how was the hike?

Thanks.
Rum is good.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

RE:Mud Lake - Possible Hike?

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:28 pm

I have been looking for info on that lake or lakes but can't find any. There is a map with some trails in the area but no info on the lake. It looks interesting...
You would think somebody here would no something about it.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Just read somewhere that the trail is closed...might have been F&H News.

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:51 pm

yeah the trail is closed from chuckanut mountain. Washed away or something. I am going to try and access it from the lake samish trail system. Not maintained trails, but trails nonetheless.

I have been talking to mountain bikers around the college and they said they go back into trails behind lake samish and there is a lake back there that is heavily vegetated, sounds like mud lake. They said they haven't seen anyone fish it in a while.

There is plans to make a new trail from lost lake, so I am going to to try and fish it before that trail goes in and catch the big one. Atleast that is the plan, hopefully their is still fish in the lake.

A local also told me that it is impossible to fish from shore and now with nobody fishing it recently the overgrowth would make it hard even wading out a bit, so I will pack in the tube and see how I fair.
Rum is good.

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Now I wish I had a float tube to go with my battery operated pump.......wheels are'a turnin.....
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:34 pm

We need littleriver back on the forums...That guy knew his alpine lakes VERY well...

I'm sure he could help many of you all out and has some great tips and spots to share...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:15 pm

those battery operated pumps are sweet, I wish I had one. A little easier to haul around than a foot pump and less space consuming in the back pack.

If you are planning on buying a float tube for hiking I would recommend something without a truck tire inner tube like mine. It weighs a ton. Although I think that all the tubes sold now have lightweight tubes but I could be wrong.

Where did you get your battery operated pump at? and how much does it weigh/ space it takes up?
Rum is good.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:13 am

Your right about the float tubes.
I used to have the tire kind and its alot heavier and harder to pump. They do last alot longer than the plastic ones that are easy to damage though.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”