Alpine Lakes Regulations

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rabbits
Petty Officer

Alpine Lakes Regulations

Post by Rabbits » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:05 pm

I hike a lot in Bellingham and have passed and arrived at several lakes/ponds. I always want to fish them but do not know the rules regulations. Some Alpine lakes are in the rule/ regulations pamphlet.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what the dates are of when they are able to be fished.

Or where I could call to figure this out. I have called the local WDFW and the answerer did not know and told me to call back, but I haven't gotten through.

Thanks.
Rum is good.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:Alpine Lakes Regulations

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 pm

Rabbits wrote:I hike a lot in Bellingham and have passed and arrived at several lakes/ponds. I always want to fish them but do not know the rules regulations. Some Alpine lakes are in the rule/ regulations pamphlet.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what the dates are of when they are able to be fished.

Or where I could call to figure this out. I have called the local WDFW and the answerer did not know and told me to call back, but I haven't gotten through.

Thanks.
Mostly they're fishable when the ice is off them and the trails are clear of snow good enough for safe hiking.

I might mention that the Alpine Lakes boundary do not extend up to the Bellingham area. Do you mean "alpine lakes" as in lakes in the mountains and hills or "Alpine Lakes" as in the designated wilderness area? Regular "alpine lakes" are usually covered in the regular fishing regulations. If they are unnamed and not a beaver pond then it's usually year round... but then ice and hiking safety determines when they can be fished.

I went in to one around Snoqualmie Pass one year. While the parking area was clear of snow the top where the lake was stil had 3 feet of snow and we postholed hiking the last little bit to the lake. Lake was only open at one end. No fishing to be had that day.

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:02 pm

Yeah, I meant lakes that are up in the mountains. I honestly didn't know there was a difference, oops. That is good news though, because they are all so tempting but I don't want to get busted. And I guess it is wrong should be a good enough reason.

Anyways, thanks for the reply and I will post anything I find out.
Rum is good.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Most alpine lakes aren't mentioned so they fall under the year round lakes. Once the lake thaws and the trail is passable they can be fished.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:13 am

I hope this doesn't sound to dumb of a question. I don't get to fish the alpine lakes region often. Does WDFW stock them? Or are the trout able to thrive on their own? Just curious, I've been to some that take a long time to get to. I would think that trying to carry anything containing fish would almost be short of impossible. Then again,the size of some of the lakes(small) I would think,would have to be stocked regulary.:-k

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:55 am

kevinb wrote:I hope this doesn't sound to dumb of a question. I don't get to fish the alpine lakes region often. Does WDFW stock them? Or are the trout able to thrive on their own? Just curious, I've been to some that take a long time to get to. I would think that trying to carry anything containing fish would almost be short of impossible. Then again,the size of some of the lakes(small) I would think,would have to be stocked regulary.:-k

It used to be that a few of the alpine lakes got stocked by I think by way of horseback and carrying in large bladders of small fingerlings, but that was when I was a kid 30 years ago. and I doubt that the resources are there for that now. But don't be discouraged about whether or not alpine lakes hold trout. I have fished many alpine lakes, and for how I see it, you have a clean habitat, usually low fishing pressure, and the lake is under ice for a good deal of time, so the fish are usually very eager to feed when the ice is off, plus the littles wild 8" brook trout is much more fiesty than what you are used to.
My favorite lake..... Lake Josephine, located on the Pacific Crest trail system, accessed from 1/4 past Stevens pass sumit, a turn off that goes back into a off-track ski service area. 3 mile hike, headwaters of the icicle (sp?) creek. Beautiful place.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:21 pm

quadradomus wrote:
kevinb wrote:I hope this doesn't sound to dumb of a question. I don't get to fish the alpine lakes region often. Does WDFW stock them? Or are the trout able to thrive on their own? Just curious, I've been to some that take a long time to get to. I would think that trying to carry anything containing fish would almost be short of impossible. Then again,the size of some of the lakes(small) I would think,would have to be stocked regulary.:-k

It used to be that a few of the alpine lakes got stocked by I think by way of horseback and carrying in large bladders of small fingerlings, but that was when I was a kid 30 years ago. and I doubt that the resources are there for that now. But don't be discouraged about whether or not alpine lakes hold trout. I have fished many alpine lakes, and for how I see it, you have a clean habitat, usually low fishing pressure, and the lake is under ice for a good deal of time, so the fish are usually very eager to feed when the ice is off, plus the littles wild 8" brook trout is much more fiesty than what you are used to.
My favorite lake..... Lake Josephine, located on the Pacific Crest trail system, accessed from 1/4 past Stevens pass sumit, a turn off that goes back into a off-track ski service area. 3 mile hike, headwaters of the icicle (sp?) creek. Beautiful place.
Thanks, very helpful. I want to get up there ASAP. The scenery alone is worth the trip. Fishing,well that a great added bonus.

Thanks again
Kevin

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:48 pm

The high country lakes are stocked by a club called the Trail Blazers. They hump the fish up the hills in packs on their backs. The fish are provided by the WDFW and to lakes selected by the WDFW.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:19 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:The high country lakes are stocked by a club called the Trail Blazers. They hump the fish up the hills in packs on their backs. The fish are provided by the WDFW and to lakes selected by the WDFW.
Thanks again. Good stuff.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”