Twin Sisters Lakes - Golden Trout

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
joetucker803
Petty Officer

Twin Sisters Lakes - Golden Trout

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:51 am

Another great area I have found for the beauty and tranquility are the Twin Sisters Lakes. These two lakes are reachable with a modest hike. It is approximately two miles (one way) to the first lake, the smaller of the two, and roughly another half mile to the larger of the two (roughly 5 miles round trip). I recommend taking a breather on the nice sandy beaches of the first lake, before departing for the larger lake -- the water is crystal clear! The trailhead is located on FS1808 on Chinook Pass. Simply take the bumping lake road past goose prairie, and bumping lake. The pavement will end and the road will split. The right becomes FS1800, and if you remain straight, you are on 1808. It is a nice gravel road, but a bit of a drive (roughly 15 miles to the trail head). The scenery of these two lakes are well worth it even if you don't catch a fish. I became interested in these lakes because they are the most accessible for GOLDEN TROUT. Yep, I said GOLDENS. The larger of the lakes, also the furthest one to reach are stocked yearly with Golden Fry. Here's a link from WDFW on the last several years of stocking:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/regio ... hives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the last decade thousands of these beauties have been planted! It is my mission to catch one. The hike to the first lake is the most grueling, but really not that bad of a hike. From there, it's less than a mile of flat ground to the larger Twin Sisters Lake. Bring mosquito repellent... The valley is called "mosquito valley."

Until two years ago, access to this lake was nearly impossible due to a washout on FS1808, unless one wanted to do a 10 mile or more just to reach the trailhead, but after approximately eight years, the bridges have been fixed, and the trail is very easy to get to. I have only fished these lakes twice, and struck out on the Goldens; however, I have pulled some beautiful Brook Trout out of here. I encourage everyone to try these lakes! I'd love to see proof that Goldens can be caught in there -- as we know, thousands Golden Trout Fry are planted there on a yearly basis, but it's becoming harder for me to get out on these ventures between work and owning a home.

The first trip I made here was right after the opening of FS1808, which resulted in me making the front page of the Yakima Herald Republic's sports section. A man on the trail asked to take a picture of me fishing. I thought it was an odd request, but was compliant. One week later, I realized I was being photographed to announce the reopening of the Forest Service road leading to the Twin Sisters trail. Anyways, here are some pictures, containing a google map picture of the area, along with some pictures I took of this spectacular getaway. More alpine information to come.
Attachments
IMG_0253[1].jpg
DSCF1644.jpg
IMG_0254[1].jpg
Last edited by joetucker803 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Re: Twin Sisters Lakes - Golden Trout

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:54 am

A few more pics of Twin Sisters, including my one shot at fame in the Yakima Herald. LMAO.
Attachments
0111.jpg
Sep17~02[1].jpg
045[1].jpg

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:04 am

**typo, "grabbed me by the nether regions"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:38 am

cool, if you don't mind I'll add this info to the lake index.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 pm

yeah Mike, I love to share all the information I can, add away, I've got more alpine lakes, with pictures for you to add to your lake index. Too man lakes and not enough time, I'm glad I can contribute.

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 pm

btw Mike that's in Yakima County, to you don't have to look it up.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:30 am

The overview has been updated, thanks!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”