Lake Wallace - who knows the area?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
whorde
Petty Officer

Lake Wallace - who knows the area?

Post by whorde » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:13 pm

I have some friends possibly hiking to Wallace Falls next weekend. I was thinking I would take advantage of the forecast 50 degree temps to hit the lake for 3-4 hours of fishing. I have some questions:

How far past the falls is the lake?

Is the trail to the falls, and then to the lake, good enough to ride a mountain bike? I just got two free mountain bikes for myself and the force of nature so we're looking for a good spot to give them a trial run.

If it is not, I'm looking at the map and I see that there are logging roads that connect via Kellog Lake Road and run clear to within ... what, 50 feet of the lake, coming in from the west? Is anyone familiar with the status of that logging road chain, if there are gates, how far away the gates are from the lake if there are gates, can that road be mountain biked?

Any other good tips about getting to the lake in the fastest and easiest way possible? I've read it's 6-7 mile hike so if I can mountain bike a big chunk of it to save time that would be awesome.

Thanks.

schu7498
Commander

Re: Lake Wallace - who knows the area?

Post by schu7498 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Judging by your recent reports, Id definitely suggest a trip to wallace lake. The lake is AMAZING! Home to some gigantic cutthroat. And maybe if youre lucky youll hook a lake trout. I would say the destination of wallace falls is about half way to the lake. The hike is fairly easy. There is a trail that goes all the way to the lake, and wallace falls is just a little spur off from that. There is an option of using a logging road to walk or bike along to the lake, I didnt use the road, but I believe it is just a tad bit longer than the trail, but youre not dealing with the ups and downs of a little trail. I would highly suggest taking a float tube with you. It might be hard to fish from the shore or logs if the lake is up. I think youll fall in love with the lake. We certainly did. It says at wallace falls state park that there is no camping up there, yet when you arrive at the lake it has a sign pointing to some camping area. Never did explore the prospect, the amazing fishing kept us busy. We ran into a bear when we were up there, so they are around.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The logging road you mention. Which one is it? I dont see one originating anywhere near what looks to be the "start" of what I presume is the trail. Nothing really shows up on Google maps other than a big green area. And, of course, the logging road coming in from the west via a few forks from Kellog Lake Road.

I would absolutely bike an extra mile, as that will make for a huge chunk more fishing time! Priorities!

I've got a rubber raft, if I can figure out where the damn water is getting into it. I fixed the air leak and today got super wet from a previously nonexistent water leak haha. Sigh.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 am

Bikes aren't allowed on the trail, but the road is right there. Been to the park and hiked to the falls but never been to the lake. I know there are others on this site that have ridden up there and rafted the lake.
Remember it is a state park so you'll need your discover pass.

Here is a map: http://www.parks.wa.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1960

And the state park like to the lake (where the map came from): http://www.parks.wa.gov/289/Wallace-Falls
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:42 am

I don't know where it says bikes aren't allowed on the trail. The old railroad grade bypasses the falls, is a mile or two longer but is on a road that is perfect for mountain biking. Otherwise the lake is not on the way to the falls, you'd be back tracking a little ways. It's a nice hike, and there are a lot of fish. Never hiked there in the winter, but in the summer they are voracious and easy to catch. Pack a raft if you can, access to the shoreline is limited and bushwhacking would be called for to reach more than just the outlet area of the lake.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 am

The other way to get to the lake is the Greg Ball trail, which is shorter, but much steeper and definitely a tougher trail ride. I hike the old railroad grade, which branches off the main trail around mile 1 or so, not sure anymore. I've been up there several times, see my report from a few years ago for the full story. Carried a huge raft up in the rain. Bikes are definitely allowed to the lake.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Ok great, thanks guys.

So I just walk or bike the trail for about a mile, and I will see what used to be a railroad track and I can just bike that?

I'm looking at the link of the map of the park and I can't tell what's what heh.

What is labeled "DNR road to Startup" is on Google maps, but the more northern, more direct road that goes right to the lake is on Google maps but not on the park map.

The road on the park map appears to have something marked "railroad grade" but it cuts off the main trail in maybe 1/4 mile, and then goes up and connects to the DNR road, and then ... I'm not sure. Is Lake Wallace marked if you're riding up that road or do I need to have GPS active to know when to turn?

Wait, wait, maybe I understand. The two trails start together, then diverge, then the railroad grade makes a Y, one direction back toward the Greg Ball trail and the falls, the other direction up toward the DNR road?

I hope it is much more clear when you're out there. As I have not been, I'm looking at that park map and it's just making my eyes cross haha.

Anyway, it seems that my previous reading has been exaggerated. It says it's only 4 miles via Greg Ball to Lake Wallace, or 5 miles even if you detour by the falls. I thought I read it was 6 miles hike, or 7 miles bike ride. So that sounds a lot better. My very minor hiking experience tells me that 6 miles each way is really hitting my limit, so if it's only 4 each way or let's say 6 miles bike, that sounds much, much better.

Hopefully I'll get to hit Lake Wallace this weekend!

One last thing - anyone who knows the status of the logging road that comes right to Lake Wallace on Google Maps - please tell me about it. Thanks.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 pm

That logging road or whatever is the old railroad. There are signs on the trail that tell you where to go, it's well marked. It's an uphill ride, but if you're in biking shape then you'll be fine. As for hiking, the greg ball trail is pretty steep, give yourself plenty of time it'll take you a while especially if your not in shape. It took me a while to do it, but I was carrying like close to 100 pounds it felt like, probably more like 50. But I was in killer shape back when I was doing alpine lakes, so I don't know how long it'd take someone not in great shape.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:33 pm

I don't recall it as super strenuous. There's a video posted on the site. Go to the video section and search for it or to the lake overview. It should be there.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Weird, not there. I was sure I made that video. I'll have to figure it out

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm

wow, I totally forgot to import it from YouTube to this site. Big opps. Added it now, and here it is:

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The old railroad grade turn off is 1.5 miles from the parking, there will be a trail mile marker just beyond the turn off bicycles are allowed on the railroad grade, but not the Woody trail or Greg ball trail. I've been to this lake 15 times and even made it to the next lake up, Jay lake once. If you have any concern just go to the shack near the public bathrooms and ask one of the attendants for a trail map. They are pretty easy trails. Wallace lake is completely awesome as schu stated.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I guess it does still baffle me though that no one has tried to drive straight to the lake. Looking at the map, that's the first thing I think of doing rather than all this hiking.

I guess I'll just have to borrow an SUV and see how close I can get!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:02 pm

No vehicles allowed on the trail. You would never be able to pull it off. Its a popular trail system, that is well maintained and looked after. I'm not going to say its impossible, but darn near.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 pm

The road is likely blocked off, or it would have been done and hikers would have complained.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”