coal lake thaw

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rpbfishin
Petty Officer

coal lake thaw

Post by rpbfishin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Has anybody gone up this early in the season? My girlfriend and I really love to go to coal lake and eat those tasty little Brook Trout, and we wanna go camping next week, Monday thru Thursday. The problem is, I don't know if it is going to be thawed out yet. Does anybody know when it usually thaws?

Thanks,
Richard

rpbfishin
Petty Officer

Re: coal lake thaw

Post by rpbfishin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am

Nothing, eh? I really didn't want to make the trip if it would be for no reasoon. I guess we could drive up and check it out and stay at another place if its still snowed in. I just figured that somebody would know. This lake is full of EBT, so many that none of them can grow any bigger than 10 inches or so but they are fully mature and taste great. I hope the eating them comment above didn't throw off any potential responses to my original question.

Thanks,
Richard

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Richard, I know your lake very well. I would expect there to be snow up there for sure, sorry I can't speak to the ice. To me it would not be a very easy lake to fish with snow on the edges. The entry point from the road side has limited shore access. A couple big rocks you can stand on... The far end of the lake would have the better shore access, but if the snow is as I would expect it still, I think you would be hampered with access issues even on shore.
Ya, it is a great little lake full of EBT, and so crystal clear you can see them come after your fly. On a side note, go check out Independence lake which is right up at the end of that Coal lake dirt road. The trail head is there, and the hike is MAYBE 1/2 mile. In my experience it had 12-14" fish, larger than Coal.
There is another lake that the trail head is just past the bend in the road at Coal lake.. I've not made it into this one, and the signage has been gone for years.
Let us know if you make it up there. [thumbup]

rpbfishin
Petty Officer

Post by rpbfishin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 am

Thank you for the info. I think we are gonna give it a shot. I will post a report if we fish!

rpbfishin
Petty Officer

Post by rpbfishin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:08 pm

As of 4/21, the road was still not clear. Two miles below the trailhead was as far as we could go. Maybe a couple more weeks?

Thought about trying kelcema, but I don't know if it is camper friendly so we decided to camp on the south fork sauk instead, at the mouth of elliot creek. My girlfriend and I went hiking and when we got back to camp, we discovered that our tent's rain flap had come undone on one side and the contents of our tent were sitting in water, including our blankets. So we packed up and cut it short.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Really appreciate the road/trail report, Thanks!

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”