Lake Isabel

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mallard83
Commodore

Lake Isabel

Post by mallard83 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I went to Isabel above Gold Bar last weekend with my uncle, brother, and friend and only caught about 15 or so fish between the 4 of us on Saturday and Sunday. We started fishing early on Saturday morning as we had gotten to the lake at about 10:30pm Friday. My brother got the biggest fish a 18" mac. This was by far my most unsuccessful trip to Isabel. Still a great weekend though. I was wondering if the fish may have been way deeper because of the week of unusually hot weather or something else was wrong. We were mostly fishing rooster tails 1/16 oz. around the west end on shore. And there was also a float plane that kept taking off and landing all day both days, pretty cool to watch though. Any tips on lures to use and better times to go would be appreciated.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:Lake Isabel

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:43 pm

I would get one of the portable fishfinders and pack it in. Actually I would sneak it in the pack of one of the other guys. That might really shed some light for you. I don't think the fishing buddy would work here. Don't think those go deep enough or have good enough resolution.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:06 pm

I would say it was a combination of the heat and the plane that was to blame for the lack of fish. Trout are cold water species and in the summer they are hard enough to catch as it is let alone that heat we just got. Also I dont know really anything about this lake, but if its a hike in lake then guaranteed it doesnt get to much pressure or activity on the water, or at least not as much as a regular lake. So with that being said, a see plane will add a lot of noise and commotion on the water. If this lake allows bait, then next time under these conditions, I would drop down to a 2' or 3' leader and some sort of bait. In the heat, the fish are just like us, lazy, so not near as active, still hungry but just not willing to put forth effort to get fed. Try night fishing next time in the heat. I always fish at night when I go camping, but I just found out that some states dont allow night fishing so I have really been taking advantage of living in a state which allows it. How far of a hike in to this lake? What kind of fish are in there?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:19 pm

gpc wrote:I would say it was a combination of the heat and the plane that was to blame for the lack of fish. Trout are cold water species and in the summer they are hard enough to catch as it is let alone that heat we just got. Also I dont know really anything about this lake, but if its a hike in lake then guaranteed it doesnt get to much pressure or activity on the water, or at least not as much as a regular lake. So with that being said, a see plane will add a lot of noise and commotion on the water. If this lake allows bait, then next time under these conditions, I would drop down to a 2' or 3' leader and some sort of bait. In the heat, the fish are just like us, lazy, so not near as active, still hungry but just not willing to put forth effort to get fed. Try night fishing next time in the heat. I always fish at night when I go camping, but I just found out that some states dont allow night fishing so I have really been taking advantage of living in a state which allows it. How far of a hike in to this lake? What kind of fish are in there?
It would be almost pointless to fish with bait off of the bottom in this lake because it pretty much immediately drops off to 200'. And the species of fish in this lake are brookies, rainbows, cutthroat, kokanee, and lake trout.

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:01 am

Go out in a float tube and jig with a buzz bomb or crippled herring, anything chrome that looks like a kokanee. Troll if possible with a K-13 or anything to imitate the kokanee. You may catch a 20# lake trout at 70' to 150'. Otherwise troll at around 30-45' for other trout.
Tug's the Drug

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:14 am

Palmer wrote:Go out in a float tube and jig with a buzz bomb or crippled herring, anything chrome that looks like a kokanee. Troll if possible with a K-13 or anything to imitate the kokanee. You may catch a 20# lake trout at 70' to 150'. Otherwise troll at around 30-45' for other trout.
Thanks for the info, the 18" laker that my brother got was on a buzz bomb.

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”