grieder lake or ruby lake Snohomish county

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jonb
Commander

grieder lake or ruby lake Snohomish county

Post by jonb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:26 am

Does anyone here know when they might be thawed. I'm itching to try them both, I believe they lie somewhere near 3500'elevation. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Re: grieder lake or ruby lake Snohomish county

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:35 am

If you go to wta.org, you can can trail reports. or spada lake webpage from sno-pud has into as well...

I think that is grieder lake.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 am

I hiked Grieder in my early 30s. I will never forget thinking it was one of the toughest day hikes I ever did. Good for you and please be sure to get some photos to share with us.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The earliest report was from April 20th. It's a rough hike, in the snow it would be impossible for most of it. The report said that there was only snow at the top by the lakes, so I would imagine the lake wasn't frozen. There is over 40 switchback on Greider, I would highly recommend getting in shape before you do that hike, you'll blow out your knees on the way down if you're not careful. I would wait until you can have the weather to make it an over-nighter, because up and down will eat up 3/4 of your day. Watch out for bears.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:21 pm

40, ugh.That will thin out the casual hikers... I just remember cursing under my breath a lot.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:26 pm

I wrote a big report on it years back when we did it. We hiked in in the dark, didn't see how insane it was until we started our way out. There are some really cool spots where there are waterfalls on the outlet creek. I don't regret it, the upper lake is awesome, the fishing is phenomenal. Bring a pack raft, shore access to the upper lake is minimal. We rowed all the way to the end, there is an awesome shelf. It's surreal, the lake is so deep, but you can see the bottom almost all the way across. Definitely want to make a return trip when I can find the time.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm in great shape, was in the marine corps, I'm now a roofer/remodel carpenter. easy hikes like the Greg ball trail to Wallace lake are a breeze, I literally jogged the entire 6.5 hike back after rafting the lake with,a frame pack. I appreciate the warning though. I'll be sure to bring someone who is also in shape with me. And lots of water and bear bells .

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22 pm

my next fishing report on this site will be my 100th, so i would like to hit grieder lake next Saturday to try for my first golden trout. problem is i absolutely need a hiking partner for safety reasons, im hoping there might be someone here that could rise to the occasion.
this person would need to be very physically fit and somewhat experienced, because this hike is not just strenuous its out right grueling (so ive heard), with over 40 switchbacks, it will take nearly 4 hours each way. we will also need to carry gear with us, fishing gear, small raft, safety equipment (ill provide) and water(lots) this will be a day hike, the toughest ive done yet. i plan to arrive at the trailhead at 4:00am and start hiking so we can set a goal of arriving by 8:00 am or so, fish until noonish, then relax for a bit, pack up and make our slow and careful decent around 2pm ( leaving plenty of time to get down safely as to not become injured)

i know it seems absurd and ridiculous, but its been a dream of mine to hit this lake, and better yet to possibly catch a golden, so if there are any crazies(enthusiast) like myself out there, ready to push themselves to the limit for some trout, pm me or reply. id like to do this next saturday, ive been training all summer, ive done at least 1 hike every week, with some weeks having 3 hikes, as far as 15 mile round trip and as high as 4000' elevation gain/loss (round trip).

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:44 am

Trip postponed untill i can find/train an expirienced hiking partner with a whole saturday free to fish.( 4:00am-6:00pm is how much time would be needed).

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:21 am

jonb wrote:Trip postponed untill i can find/train an expirienced hiking partner with a whole saturday free to fish.( 4:00am-6:00pm is how much time would be needed).
Nate....get on it!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 am

Hahaha, if I had the time I'd totally be down.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:57 pm

I just thought I'd update this thread. JonB and I were going to go, but he was busy being out of town. So I went with my hiking partner, who I call the force of nature. She looks like she couldn't hike a mile, but she will CRUSH you. And laugh at you while doing so. Four hour hike? Our first trip we weren't ready for the steepness of the climb, or I wasn't at least, so it took 2 hours. The second trip we jogged the bottom, so 1 hour 40 minutes. With water running down the trail heh.

Natetreat and JonB, you're both coming with us next year! No excuses! I'll make sure to have one roasting on my portable grill by the time you guys get up the hill hoho!

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”