Independence lake Off Moutain loop Hwy

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Independence lake Off Moutain loop Hwy

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:56 pm

Well Independence lake is not listed within the database, so I am posting this here. Also, the alpine lake forum sees far too little attention.
Today I drove up the Mountain Loop Hwy, East of Granite falls. Independence lake is off of Coal lake road. Forest Service road about 1/4 mile past the Big Four Ice Caves. I carried my float tube, fins, and crap into the lake... about 1/3 mile. It was a beautiful sunny day. I slowly dragged a black wooly bugger around... hat a couple of hits on this, but missed the hookset. Seems like it always came when my hands were busy. Then I floated a worm off the bottom, with no hits. Then it was power eggs.... power bait + worm... not hits. Later it was those SHWEET fishingcreek spinners. I did have some hits off the Armadillo spinner, but just couldn't seem to set the hook.
The lake definetly has trout in it. I could see them with my polarized lenses. Small fish about 10" It was very strange though that these fish may have had some sort of "Funk" on them. (remember, this is a crystal clear alpine lake. 25' visibility.) It looked as though someone splashed milk on the fish. As I said, I never landed one,, but the ones I saw in the water had a weird white splotchy pattern on them. I'm thinking it was some kind disease or something. Now I even more want to go back and catch one.

For those who know the area.. The road in has now been re-graded since the wash out. It's a great little place for an over night. The next lake over the ridge is about 1.5 hours away, and twice as big. The first lake,,, Coal lake is loaded with Eastern Brooke.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Independence lake Off Moutain loop Hwy

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Sounds like an awesome outing.
I'm heading up to Snohomish on Sunday and were hoping to fish Coal Lake.
100% agree-this forum sees to little activity.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:44 am

Not sure about you guys, but I've found this year's high lakes fishing to be great.
I got an early start ont he 5,000+ ft lakes, and many of my favorites thawed almost a month ahead of last year.

One of these days I'll get my photo's edited and posted on the forum.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 am

site updated, send me more!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”