Westslope Cutts -- Where to Find 'Em?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Westslope Cutts -- Where to Find 'Em?

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:44 am

I may be looking for something that doesn't exist here, but...

I'm planning to head out again next week, and thought I'd like to target Westslope Cutthroats. Are there any drive-in lakes, not a super-hellacious distance from Portland that have them?

wolverine
Captain

RE:Westslope Cutts -- Where to Find 'Em?

Post by wolverine » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:05 am

Better have a lot of gas in your car. Pure Westslopes are running water fish not lake fish. In order to find them in any reasonable numbers you'll have to go to Idaho, Montana, or BC. Westslopes are the proverbial dumb as rocks trout and were easily caught out of their original habitat. They require utterly pure water to thrive and do not compete well against the far more aggressive rainbows. There are pockets of them left in remote areas closer to where you are but I doubt that anyone that knows where these spots are will willingly divulge them. Good luck on your hunt.
Life's short - fish hard!

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Wolverine is correct. True native Westslope habitat is in the streams and rivers in extreme NW Washington, Northern Idaho and Western Montana as well as Southern B.C. and Alberta.

However, the WDFW plant what they call Westslope Cutthroats in a few Spokane area lakes. Badger, Williams and Amber lakes all have these fish in varying numbers.

I was just at Badger last week and caught over 15 Cutts up to 19". I can't tell that they are any different than the "true" Westslopes I catch in Sullivan Creek.

If you want to go a little farther there are several lakes around Colville and Newport Washington (north of Spokane) that receive plants as well.

Here is a link to the WDFW's page that lists fish planing by species per year. You can download the matrix and find where the Cutthoats have been planted.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html

Tight Lines!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:03 pm

I would send an email to the Oregon Game Department and tell them the region you want to go to. They might suggest some creeks.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:25 pm

You are actually closer to one of the two known sub species of Red Bands. If you are into native species, the Eastern Oregon area has one of the two sub species, and they are sure a great looking fish.

As for the West Slope Cutts, see above post. Dumb as a rock, fragile critters and hard to raise for planting purposes, but pretty fish.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Westslope Cutts are common in most area's, in Washington, I've caught them in the Upper Snoqualmie (South Fork), Methow (large Cutts in that river), Yakima, Naches, and a couple smaller streams. One of the best Westslope rivers I've ever fished is the St. Joe in Northeastern Idaho. All Cutts. Many 35 fish days.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 pm

SAPIplate wrote:Westslope Cutts are common in most area's, in Washington, I've caught them in the Upper Snoqualmie (South Fork), Methow (large Cutts in that river), Yakima, Naches, and a couple smaller streams. One of the best Westslope rivers I've ever fished is the St. Joe in Northeastern Idaho. All Cutts. Many 35 fish days.
Notice that he is from Oregon, and St. Joe is a ways away for him. The Snoqualmie are not West Slope Cutts, but Costals. Not sure of the other rivers so I cannot comment on them.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I didn't see the "not a hellacious distance" part. Anyway, the South Fork, I have caught a Westslope, it was small but definatly a Westslope. But you are correct the majority of the Cutts in the Snoqualmie are resident Coasties. A local fly shop owner I know has even caught one in the Sultan.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:47 pm

trust me sapi knows his fish.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU