red line

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Henry
Petty Officer

red line

Post by Henry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Ive seen the red line is the store the last couple of times I picked up gear dose it work for trout. Anyone have any experience with it.
thank you.

mallard83
Commodore

RE:red line

Post by mallard83 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:41 pm

Are you talking about the Shakespeare Cajun Line? If you are, then yes I have tried it but not for trout. I tried the 8# test for humpies in the rivers this last season and I can tell you that I will deffinately be buying more. I hooked and landed litterally hundreds of humpies on it and even a beautiful 14# king (unexpected) during the season. The only problem that I found with it is that it freys a little easier than it should but that still wasn't a problem because even towards the end of the season when I would get hung on the bottom it took a ton of effort to break off. It felt more like I was using 17# test than 8# test. I never had line failure because of the line only because of bad knots.

As far as the actual color of the line making a difference, I cannot tell yet because humpies are so easy to catch in the first place. I will be trying some 4# test for trout in a couple of weeks so I will let you know how it fairs. The way I see it though, if you are talking about Cajun Line then you might as well just go buy a spool because it is only about $4 for a spool of around 1,000 yrds. at Fred Meyer's so it won't be that big of a hit to the wallet if it doesn't work out. You never know unless you try for yourself because it is all about preference and opinion and I just happen to have had nothing but good experiences so far.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:44 pm

PM gpc. He uses it a lot I believe. I'm not crazy for it, but have never spooled it on my reel, just used a buddies rod/reel that had some on it.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Yes, Sam is right I do use that line A LOT. It is very cheap and I have yet to have a problem with it. I have been told over and over again that red is the first color to get filtered out by sun light in the water. I am not doubting it, but i dont use the line for that reason. I use the 6 , 8 , and 12 lb test and for every other lb test I go with other line. But the 6, 8, and 12 are the lines I use the most. But like I said, its good line and very cheap. All salmon season (while river fishing) thats what I went with. And durring trout season I use a 4lb test leader 99.9% of the time (not in cajun red though) so the main line dosnt matter. Just give it a try, beleive me, I had my doubts as well. RED LINE (just looks stupid lol) and for that cheap of price, I thought it cant be too good. But it works just fine.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:04 pm

Use the blue Danielson line

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:30 pm

I would love to hear more about what everyone likes as far as mono line for trout fishing goes. There are too many to choose from! I am using 6 lb test Stren and Maxima which seem to be fine but if there is a hands down standout line, I am interested in knowing what it is. Thanks.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Dave wrote:I would love to hear more about what everyone likes as far as mono line for trout fishing goes. There are too many to choose from! I am using 6 lb test Stren and Maxima which seem to be fine but if there is a hands down standout line, I am interested in knowing what it is. Thanks.
Dave,
I tried some P-Line (used to be a Stren/Maxima guy, never liked Trilene except for their Sensation line. That was good stuff) and now I have it on just about all my reels. I think only a reel or two, and a few other spare spools, are spooled with Maxima UG. PLine is on my spinning, baitcasting, saltwater spinning and levelwind reels. Never had a fish break my line in the past year. It's tough to even snap your line on a snag with 6lb Pline...
I have Pline in the following tests:
6lb=trout spinning setups
8lb=bass setups (spinning and baitcasters)
10=saltwater spinning for casting off the beach
15=levelwind rods used for downriggin
20=bottomfish levelwind reels
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....