line and leader for trout and cutts

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherdane
Petty Officer

line and leader for trout and cutts

Post by fisherdane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi,

I am getting ready to put some line on a new reel, and intend to use this for trolling w. downriggers for trout and Cutts in LW.

What size line and type is recommended for trout fishing and cutthroat? What about a leader (size and type again please).

What is a recommended lenght of leader?

Thanks

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

RE:line and leader for trout and cutts

Post by urbanangler » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 pm

I think that stuff, and much more, is covered in The 101 on LW Cutthroat Fishing
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

fisherdane wrote:Hi,

I am getting ready to put some line on a new reel, and intend to use this for trolling w. downriggers for trout and Cutts in LW.

What size line and type is recommended for trout fishing and cutthroat? What about a leader (size and type again please).

Thanks
Flouro is going to be much more invisible to the fish. kuttkilla is our resident LW cutt fishermen and urban angler gave you a great link for some basic info regarding that fishery.

6 lb flouro and 4lb flouro leader would be a pretty good combination so you don't spook any of those cutts. Leader length: Long. Again, LW is a pretty clear lake and these are wary fish.

I like P-Line for my mainline. I've never used their flourocarbon though and Maxima mono leader has always been my old standby. They have flouro leader rolls in the 27 yard variety wheels.

But double check that 101 Cutt fishing thread. Good information there.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:14 pm

For trout I would go with 6 or 8lb test. On my personal set ups I go with 6lb test, but on my spare set ups I go with 8lb test. It dosnt really matter as long as you are using 4lb test leader though.

As far as brands I have heard a lot about P line, and non of it has been bad. I really dont have the extra money for P line, and I cange my line a little too often. I go with either berkey trilene or shakespears cajun red. Both pretty cheap line, but the cajun red is dirt cheap.

As far as leaders flourocarbon is the best, but once again pretty pricey stuff. 90% of the time while trout fishing I go with 4lb test leader. While trolling you are going to want around 3' of leader, I ussually go with closer to 5' though. I dont buy special spools of leader, I just take it off the spool of line that I allready have. I dont use 4lb test cajun red, mostly trielene. The stuff that I have now is called Triple Fish RX Spinning. I think its the best 4lb stuff I have ever used. Its a little more pricey, but I fish a lot with 4lb test and I dont mind spending a little more on it. I got it at outdoor emporium.

But for the LW cutthroat, you are going to want to talk to kuttkilla. He can help you out more than I can.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:49 pm

fisherdane wrote:Hi,

Thanks
P-Line Flourocarbon 4 pound test is ideal. Spool the reel of your choice. If you're using downriggers be careful not to spook the fish. I run leaders about 60-100' long and do alright. I'd spool an Abu Garcia Ambassador reel -- I believe I use a 6001c, but I'd have to re-check that one. If you are running a downrigger, make sure you snap your line into your release clip at least 100 feet behind the boat (and at the very front of your clip -- many times they can strike soft -- depends on the mood of the fish). I don't use downriggers cause it spooks a lot of fish, but they are effective in that they get your lure to the exact depth that you need it to be. I'll be heading out over the next fews days for some C&R and I'll get some reports up here. But for spooling your reel, go with an Abu Garcia (most experienced cutt anglers on this lake do spool Abu's) and I love P-line. 6 pound test isn't bad for larger fish, but I'd go with the 4. Good luck and go Mariners!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisherdane
Petty Officer

Post by fisherdane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Great Stuff..... Thanks. I did read the 101 on Cutts. Heck I read anything Kuttkilla has been part of. However I just wanted to make sure the sizes and types of lines I used were reasonable. I was a little confused on when to use flourocarbon and monoline.

I assume all Floru would be the way to go, and a leader with 4lbs.

Kuttkilla, If you ever want a fishing buddy for a day on LW let me know :bounce:

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:43 pm

fisherdane wrote: I assume all Floru would be the way to go, and a leader with 4lbs.
Kuttkilla, If you ever want a fishing buddy for a day on LW let me know :bounce:
Yep. I'd spool the reel of your choice with 4 lb p-line flourocarbon. You'll love it - quality line. 6 lb isn't bad...but if you can get away with using 4 lb go ahead and do so...some of the larger fish don't mind the 6 lb test. I always look for new fishin buddies :) Best of luck on spooling that reel...I'd do it yourself...don't pay Joe's to do it...half the time they do it wrong anyways.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:02 pm

kuttkilla wrote:Best of luck on spooling that reel...I'd do it yourself...don't pay Joe's to do it...half the time they do it wrong anyways.[/size]
Joes will spool reels for free if you either buy a reel there or buy line there and bring your reel that needs spooling in.
But yes, they do spool it wrong occasionally. And it ain't hard to do yourself...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fisherdane
Petty Officer

Post by fisherdane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 pm

OK. so I checked what I could find for P-Line. Evidently there are more types of Fluorocarbon..... Which type would be suitable for LW you think? I found clear, green, smoke silver......... I assume Clear, but wanted to ask since this thread is going anyway..

Thanks

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:20 pm

fisherdane wrote:OK. so I checked what I could find for P-Line. Evidently there are more types of Fluorocarbon..... Which type would be suitable for LW you think? I found clear, green, smoke silver......... I assume Clear, but wanted to ask since this thread is going anyway..
Hey fisherdane! In all honesty, it really doesn't matter what type you end up choosing... Any 4 lb test line in any color will suffice. I use clear, but smoke silver is great too. I'd buy the 6 pound test because it's a little stronger and will help if you hook a brute and it wants to tangle in some twigs (I've lost some big fish this way).

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... PLPFC.html

From TackleWareHouse.Com:

"P-Line Ultimate Fluorocarbon Line

We waited a long time for the premier line manufacturer, P-Line to bring out their fluorocarbon offering and it turned out as well as we had hoped. Fluorocarbon is known for being nearly invisible in water and this 100% fluorocarbon exceeds all expectations in that category. This is not a limp line, no fluorocarbon really is, but it is extremely tough and will hold up well when in contact with rocks, sticks, and other underwater obstructions and the breaking strength is better than other popular brands on the market. The knot strength is also excellent and it will hold well with all the popular knots. That is exactly what we expected from this manufacturer and we got it. If you like fluorocarbon line you'll love this 100% fluorocarbon line, and the price is quite reasonable."
...You get 250 yds for $14.99 so it's pricey line, but it's quality and lasts a LONG time. I don't place as much emphasis on the specific line brand, as I do the tactics. Any 4 pound test line will work fine as long as it is rigged right...that link should help you out. I personally like 6 pound test because it's more versatile for all game species, and it doesn't spook the large fish. You can't go wrong with 4 or 6 lbs. Best of luck! Go M's 7-1
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:36 pm

I have been using the 6 pound p-line and it hasn't done me wrong! I use the six pound because you never know what you are going to hook into! The four pound has very little advantage over the six and it is sure nice to have a little extra when you are running out a lot of line and fishing deeper water.( I would look into eight pound even if you are fishing medium action or stiffer rods)
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:I use the six pound because you never know what you are going to hook into! The four pound has very little advantage over the six.
Exactly right. That's what I alluded to in my prior post, so I'd heed bigbasstaz's advice and go with that P-Line Flourocarbon 6LB test. You'll love it!

fisherdane
Petty Officer

Post by fisherdane » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Perfect. thanks