Are there any Alpine Lakes with Kokanee?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cwbraue
Petty Officer

Are there any Alpine Lakes with Kokanee?

Post by cwbraue » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:27 pm

I have been wondering about this for years, because one time about ten years ago I caught a fish in a high lake in the North Cascades that looked like a Kokanee to me. I had been catching tons of 9 inch trout and then I caught this skinny, whitish fish with different shaped scales that was definitely not a trout. If it was a Kokanee either someone illegally planted it, or a bird carried it from Baker lake 20 miles and then dropped it in the lake which is not very likely.

Anyways, I always wonder if Kokanee can thrive in our alpine lakes and if any have been planted. I would think a big lake like Dorothy Lake would probably be able to sustain a population, assuming there is enough plankton, and that there is somewhere for them to spawn.

And yes I know they are in Keechelus and Kachess, but I am talking about lakes over 3000 feet.