Kokanee Parasites

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jetcraft Jim
Angler

Kokanee Parasites

Post by Jetcraft Jim » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Anyone know what the parasites are on the Kokanee at Summit Lake?
Thanks.
J J
WE MUST REJECT THE IDEA THAT EVERY TIME A LAW IS BROKEN, SOCIETY IS GUILTY RATHER THAN THE LAWBREAKER.
IT IS TIME TO RESTORE THE AMERICAN PRECEPT THAT EACH INDIVIDUAL IS ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS. Guess

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Kokanee Parasites

Post by Toni » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:45 pm

copepods
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Jetcraft Jim
Angler

Post by Jetcraft Jim » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Toni wrote:copepods
Thanks Toni, are they a big problem in lakes? I have not seen it this bad ever. The photo I am trying to load shows many of them on the gill plates of one Kokanee which was very under weight and had soft flesh. Just trying to understand if this warrants reporting to WDFW.

Thanks. Jim Sr.

WE MUST REJECT THE IDEA THAT EVERY TIME A LAW IS BROKEN, SOCIETY IS GUILTY RATHER THAN THE LAWBREAKER.
IT IS TIME TO RESTORE THE AMERICAN PRECEPT THAT EACH INDIVIDUAL IS ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS. Guess

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:58 pm

WDFW already knows. they have been there for years
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Jetcraft Jim
Angler

Post by Jetcraft Jim » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up Toni.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Jim, I have been out there a few times this year and its been hit or miss or should I say no so bad and what the hell. You have the WTH the best thing is keep fishing and enjoy the eats. The trout have them as well the warmer water is not helping the cause, but the fish are growing larger every month but I would a say at some point the fish is going to suffer, but no cure without draining the lake. We all know that is not going to happen. Tight lines,, Eric
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Jetcraft Jim
Angler

Post by Jetcraft Jim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:19 pm

Yeah, I'll keep fishin & eatin em like always. Still the most fun I can have close to home. [drool]

Why2Fish
Angler

Post by Why2Fish » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:22 am

A recent report (verbal) indicated that Palmer Lake in Okanogan county had a bad copepod infestation this year. CVan anyone confirm this?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:50 pm

copepods are a normal parasite found in lakes and saltwater. Here's an article from this fall with more information on the subject:

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... spx?id=758

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:27 am

Do you have any evidence to back up your opinion that this was all caused by WDFW? Not hearsay from locals?

It's easy to google the information and read about copepod infestations in other fisheries. Hardly seems like a conspiracy going on.

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:32 am

And there is no conspiracy. This did not happen maliciously. No ill intent. This is more like my 10yr old doing something by mistake, but not being forthcoming and owning up to that mistake.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:25 pm

kenimes wrote:.
Oy va. First retarded, now gullible. How foolish of me to not just blindly believe you. And asking for any kind of proof? How silly of me. #-o

For everyone else, I'll be following up with WDFW biologist to get their scientific assessment later this year. Unless they change their phone numbers and hide from this alleged "mistake".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Question; copepods and other marine parisites, a problem? I have caught multiple species of fish from various fisheries all around the world. Many if not all of them host some form or another of parisite.

Here in the Northwest all of our salmonoids have copepods including kokanee. The level of copepod infestation varies from one body of water to the next. 30 years ago we caught kokanee in Lake Stevens, Lake Samish, Baker Lake and Lake Shannon that had copepods. Never thought anything about it, just the way it is. We/I have eaten thousands of Kokanee with copepods with no related health problems. I for one am glad that WDFW plants our lakes with Kokanee, copepods or not. They are the hardest fighting, tastiest light gear game fish we have. Hats off to the WDFW on that one!

I am not a biologist, just an old fat guy that loves to fish for Kokanee, but I wonder how many copepods move from lake to lake complements of the local eagle, cormorant or even seagull populations?

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Very good point, rseas. It will certainly not stop me from enjoying the fight they bring when you hook up.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
kenimes wrote:.
Oy va. First retarded, now gullible. How foolish of me to not just blindly believe you. And asking for any kind of proof? How silly of me. #-o

For everyone else, I'll be following up with WDFW biologist to get their scientific assessment later this year. Unless they change their phone numbers and hide from this alleged "mistake".
LOL! Im with you Mike, but I would not have been so nice with my reply. You have a lot more restraint than I do! [thumbsup]

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 pm

kenimes wrote:>

You are arguing against science - which is based on actual research, evidence and data. Things which can all easily be proven and demonstrated as facts.

Your "arguments" on the other hand, consist of invented, baseless conspiracy theories, slander and unfounded accusations based on absolutely nothing other than pure ignorance. When asked for proof, you supply nothing but personal insults.

These are the same types of arguments the creationists and the "Illuminati" nut jobs and the other purveyors of fake news love to use. Im betting you also believe Obama was born in Kenya, there is wide spread voter fraud and there is no climate change. Are you also into crop circles?

Ok, I Might give you some of the crop circles.....

Real science is too much trouble for them as it requires you to actually look at the real world and see it for what it is - not what you want it to be. Plus you have to use your mind for thinking based on facts instead of wild speculation and rumor. Real science also requires that you be able to understand logical trains of thought, simple math, cause and effect, etc. Real science requires proof. Anything else is ignorance with a big mouth.

(sorry Mike. I got carried away. I told you you had more restraint than I did [laugh] )

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm

rseas wrote:Question; copepods and other marine parisites, a problem? I have caught multiple species of fish from various fisheries all around the world. Many if not all of them host some form or another of parisite.

Here in the Northwest all of our salmonoids have copepods including kokanee. The level of copepod infestation varies from one body of water to the next. 30 years ago we caught kokanee in Lake Stevens, Lake Samish, Baker Lake and Lake Shannon that had copepods. Never thought anything about it, just the way it is. We/I have eaten thousands of Kokanee with copepods with no related health problems. I for one am glad that WDFW plants our lakes with Kokanee, copepods or not. They are the hardest fighting, tastiest light gear game fish we have. Hats off to the WDFW on that one!

I am not a biologist, just an old fat guy that loves to fish for Kokanee, but I wonder how many copepods move from lake to lake complements of the local eagle, cormorant or even seagull populations?
Thats an excellent question and I have no idea. However, the yuck factor is enough for me to toss them in the trash if the fish has enough so that I can see them. :thumbdown :thumbdown

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:13 pm

I would just like to point out how awesome each and every one of you are for keeping this cordial. We may not see eye to eye on this particular topic, but we all share a passion for fishing, and regardless of the difference of opinions or views, you all still rock!

I'm done ranting. lol

Wishing you a Happy Valentines, and tight lines!

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:49 pm

kenimes - "."

Couple of questions -

Just what is this 'biologists mistake' that placed copecods along the coast, up the Columbia system, and into the various lakes of WA State that you refer to,

and -

That denial is nothing new with WDFW (per your post) - could you give us an example or two of things they have denied in the past where facts have proven otherwise?

Inquiring minds and all

onmygame

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:13 pm

OK, now we are talking conspiracies! =D>

Sorry, I doubt very much WDFW is sitting around in a room coming up with an excuse they are going to feed Mike Carey when he randomly gives a fisheries biologist a call on a Monday afternoon. Maybe Dave Graybill, he's higher up on the PR Food Chain, but not me. [biggrin]

I'm game to continue this conversation. So what is your thought on what happened since you don't believe what the biologist told me? What specifically did WDFW do (as in "screw up") that caused the poor kokanee fishing on Palmer Lake? What's your theory?