Dick Nite Lures

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
herefishy
Petty Officer

Dick Nite Lures

Post by herefishy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:31 pm

I am new to trolling and fishing with lures. I have tried a few different types but did not have any luck. I am currently trolling with a wedding ring with a worm and have had some success but was told to try Dick Nite lures for better results. I am fishing for trout. I went to their website and was overwhelmed with all the different colors. Which ones would be the best to try?

Thanks,
Janet

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Re: Dick Nite Lures

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:51 pm

I love their frog pattern and their 50/50. All dick nites work but those are my two favorite.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:53 pm

X2 on the 50/50. I've trolled them with just a small weight and even clipped to a downrigger, behind a small gang troll, tipped with a worm, egg, grub, dipped in scent etc. Very versatile lure. Just have to mess around a bit to find out how the fish want it. I usually start off with it bare, no scent, worm etc. If the fish aren't liking that, I will start adding to it til I find what initiates a strike.

One thing I;ve found with Dick Nite's is they work better trolling 1.5mph and under it seems. You want it to flutter in the water. If you are going to fast it will tend to spin or do a fast roll, which you don't want. If you don't have a way to guage your speed watch the lure along side the boat and slow down til you get a nice flutter with it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:03 pm

I think it depends on where you are fishing and the conditions. The 50/50 brass/chrome is a staple in many tackle boxes and the 50/50 red/brass or copper work well in off colored waters. What is nice about these lures are they can also be used in the rivers for salmon. Hot pink and Nickel/Chartreuse would be the other two I'd look at getting.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 am

Agree with the information above.

Frog, 50/50, chartreuse/nickel, and red tipped nickel seem to be my most consistent producers in sizes 0 or 1 for trout. I like using about 6' of light leader if your main is heavier than 6 lbs.

Also, I've caught a lot of stocker trout trolling a floating Rapala, jointed or solid in shad, RBT, or shiner colors.

Would help to know what lakes/region you're fishing.

Good luck!

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:38 am

Bobberdownchromer wrote:I love their frog pattern and their 50/50. All dick nites work but those are my two favorite.
Those are my favorites too. Plus they're deadly on coho as well as trout

As for crankbaits my personal favorite is the berekley flickR shad in the smallest 3 sizes (depending on the depth you need to hit) in gold, perch, or firetiger.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley- ... 85348.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

herefishy
Petty Officer

Post by herefishy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:41 pm

BentRod wrote:
Would help to know what lakes/region you're fishing.
Thank everyone for the helpful information. I will give the Dick Nites suggested a try.

BentRod - I have been fishing mostly small lakes in King county (Beaver, Pine, Langlois, Alice, Cottage, Shady, Shadow, Desire, Wilderness, Meridian, Angle). Occasionally Tye (Snohomish), Cranberry and Campbell (Skagit county). I have a little dingy of a boat (9.4 foot WaterTender) with 30 thrust trolling motor.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:29 am

Good to know. Many of those are the lakes that I frequent and most of the info supplied, if not all, will be applicable. This time of year can be tough for trolling in those lakes though as the fish tend to be slow to react and are mostly holding at deeper depths which makes trolling a little less productive. However, your can still find them. Things will start to pick up as the temps come up.

cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Post by cjrodarme » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:04 am

I'd try orange for meridian, never have had a day skunked using orange for trout. I also recommend natural patterns, such as the frog patterns. Silver might look like trout/kokanne fry, so I'd try that.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:20 am

I am planning to hit Cranberry this weekend. Like Bentrod said, trolling can at times be a little tough this time of year, but that should change rapidly. Cranberry I always will have a 50/50 Dick Nite on a line. The Browns there seem to gravitate towards anything gold colored. Also a Frog pattern I assume would work well also, and it was a frog patterned flatfish that my brother got an 8lb brown from there. This time of you can definitely catch fish, just don't expect non-stop action. I prefer this time of year though because the fish are better quality and not recent plants that will hit anything you throw and em.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:49 pm

50/50.... but if you wanted to try multiple different colors the frog silver/green brass/green any of the red hot heads most all of those will work at one point or another

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:48 am

I have found that when trolling dick nites i get better action when i stop and go. I usually get hit on the pause