Fishing for Lake Trout at Loon Lake

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
angelos43
Angler

Fishing for Lake Trout at Loon Lake

Post by angelos43 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Hello fellow anglers. I would like to get some help and insight on how to fish for the Lake Trout in Loon Lake. Is there a preferred method (Jigging or Trolling) and what bait, lures to use and where they can be found. Any info would be helpful. I fish for Kokanee often but would like to try my hand at these bigger fish.

Thanks and tight lines!

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Fishing for Lake Trout at Loon Lake

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Never fished that lake, but if you look it up in the lakes index, you can read all the fishing reports for Loon. Many of them will tell you the gear and tackle used as well as give hot spots.

Good luck!

Larry

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Angelos43,

I have not fished Loon lake for Macks, but i do fish them at other lakes.
I would suggest going to the MANY reports given by "Darrell and Dads" guide service, on lake Chelan. Those guys are very good about listing the tackle they use. That is what I have done, and then used same tackle at the lake I fish. I did not find many Mack reports looking through the Loon lake reports. Maybe people just don't target them so much over there.
Although they can be found suspended, people usually hug the bottom in 100+ ft. Water.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Both Loon and Deer have Lakers in them. My Dad used to fish them old school before the invention of down riggers with Leaded line and a plug called a Lucky louie!! I guess the closest thing might be a J-plug now. Just heard that a Bio said the Kokes aren't making it in Deer due to the Mac's picking them all. Might be a place to start.

namaycush
Petty Officer

Post by namaycush » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Loon has a small population of large lake trout with an almost unlimited kokanee base which makes the fish finicky and lazy. Gitzits bounced slowly on the bottom can be effective. Loon is only 100' deep which makes it easier to eliminate unproductive water when searching for fish. Loon was last planted wirh lake trout in the mid 90's.