Chelan kokanee

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lingking
Petty Officer

Chelan kokanee

Post by Lingking » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:11 am

Since the kokanee in Chelan are running deeper is everyone using heavier line to hold on to the rigger clips better? I am there for a week starting next Thursday and was planning on setting up with 10# test.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Chelan kokanee

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:26 am

Lingking wrote:Since the kokanee in Chelan are running deeper is everyone using heavier line to hold on to the rigger clips better? I am there for a week starting next Thursday and was planning on setting up with 10# test.
I used my larger salmon clips. Also, at that depth (150 ft) mono stretches a lot, I was having trouble at times even seeing a bite, braid may be a better choice if you can switch it up (say, a different reel)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:53 am

I run 40# braid to a long section of 20# mono. I run the mono out for my set back, and clip the mono in to the clip, as it stays in the clip better, and the braid helps with seeing the bite as Mike said above, I use the big Scotty double duty clip set on the light setting, but the mini clips work well for me also.
Eat, sleep, fish

Skaha
Petty Officer

Post by Skaha » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:33 am

--I was using 12 lb mono with Scotty mini clips. Only going a whimpy 115 ft though not 150.
--Problem not with the clip holding but sometimes getting the clip to release at that depth. Remember there is an adjustment on the mini clip to make it hold with more pressure.
--If in a hurry to get the rig down at depth did get a few faulse releases but that was my fault not the clips.

--Note the line I was using has a 0.27mm or 0.011inch diameter

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:24 am

I guess, after googling real quick, I do use the Scotty mini clip with the adjustable tension set to loose, the Mini one I use is the "little snapper" I think they call it, I bury the line in the snapper, and on the mini, I bury it on the top, and sorta angle the bottom out, sometimes its tough to pull it out, I always am careful, as I have broke rods being over diligent getting the line out of the clip
Eat, sleep, fish

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:14 am

I run 15lb or 20lb braid on my reels with 30' of 10lb Ultragreen leader, but I usually drop back around 50 ' to 100'. With some of the gear I drag and at the speeds I troll, keeping the line in the mini scotty clips can be challenging. The regular sized scotty clips set at a normal release tension work great and release nicely. If you are going to be targeting kokanee at 100' or more, I second the suggestion for switching to braid. You can buy a 300' yard spool of 15 or 20lb Tuf-line XP for under $30, this would allow you to spool 450' of line onto 2 reels. As a bonus, you can mark the line with a felt pen at your standard setback distance(S), this way you don't need a line counter or have to pay out line while counting pulls, revolutions, etc. I use the yellow colored lines and mark them with a black sharpie at 50, 100 and 150 feet.

mooseboy
Angler

Post by mooseboy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:01 am

We fish a lot shallower here...50-100 ft and we usually do ok with mono...braided seems kidna slick and popped out MORE when we tried running some 10# at about 120 ft.

When you are fishing so deep why do you need such long setbacks? Over 50 ft deep and I'm usually only about 20-25 feet back.

See you out there in June
Mooseboy