10 fish limit??

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AlexanderS
Petty Officer

10 fish limit??

Post by AlexanderS » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Hey guys,so recently a few lakes had their trout limit bump up to 10,and I've been seeing the same guys out their every other day if not every day and their alway taking home 10 fish...I'll usually take a few for the grill or smoker,I'm out their for the sport,I just don't see what you can possibly do with atleast 30 fish per week??? To me it seems like they catch them,freeze them and eventually throw them out??,I don't know..the hatchery fish aren't that great,I'm not saying their bad,they can be pretty good if prepped and cooked the right way,but it seems like a lot will be wasted..what do you guys think?id like to get other opinions,thanks!:)

jd39
Commander

Re: 10 fish limit??

Post by jd39 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:19 pm

I hope to get out and take advantage of the 10 fish limit soon. I think most of these fish will be in the 11-13" range, maybe get 1/4 or 1/3 lb per fish if you fillet and skin, that's maybe ~3 lbs per limit raw. Won't last much longer than a meal and leftovers especially if your feeding a family.
In my little chief a 10 fish limit of these planter trout would be about one load to smoke.
I mostly just fry trout now and prepared right they are good. Perch are the best for frying in western Washington but trout are a good alternative in my opinion.
I'd give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just stocking up while the fishing is good and it'll all get eaten. Fillet, vacuum seal and freeze they'll last a long time and still taste good.
C&R is a great option too once one feels they have taken enough.

The real crap is that these plants aren't in our rivers.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Ah, the "you can't possibly eat all those fish" comment. I've had that one thrown at me a few times...

Since we don't know the circumstances I prefer to assume the best in others. It's legal to keep those fish. The angler may be giving them to friends and family, which is also totally legal and not a waste of the resource. So yes, if they are going in the freezer only to be thrown out down the road, I agree, not a good thing. But we don't know the circumstances and I for one would rather not assume the worst in others.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is also a possession limit (of fish in any form) of 2 daily limits imposed on trout/gamefish. The 40lb processed/frozen possession limit applies to food fish like salmon and halibut.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 pm

G-Man wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but there is also a possession limit (of fish in any form) of 2 daily limits imposed on trout/gamefish. The 40lb processed/frozen possession limit applies to food fish like salmon and halibut.
Correct for in transit or in the field.

AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Post by AlexanderS » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 pm

I haven't heard of the possession limit?,I'll try to do some research about it.but please don get me wrong Im not judging whoever stocks up on fish,I awlays do the same with salmon,I vacuum seal them and smoke/grill the rest of the year(if I catch enough,it usually disappears within a few months,haha).i guess it just hit me a different way when the guy I was fishing next to said he lived alone near by and has a freezer full of them,I didn't get want to be nosey about it,just struck me from a different perspective.i do agree,much better catching dinner from water then stores:)

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 pm

AlexanderS wrote:I haven't heard of the possession limit?,I'll try to do some research about it.but please don get me wrong Im not judging whoever stocks up on fish,I awlays do the same with salmon,I vacuum seal them and smoke/grill the rest of the year(if I catch enough,it usually disappears within a few months,haha).i guess it just hit me a different way when the guy I was fishing next to said he lived alone near by and has a freezer full of them,I didn't get want to be nosey about it,just struck me from a different perspective.i do agree,much better catching dinner from water then stores:)
Fair enough. I had to look it up too, pg 11 in the reg has the definition for possession limit.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 pm

I have gotten out with my youngest at 3 and enjoyed getting some of those fish. Very fun. Mine didnt last long cream cheese and smoked trout sandwiches for lunch today. I know some of the retired folks supplement there income by fishing.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:39 am

I keep a lot of fish. My neighbors get some and my co-workers get it processed. The retired neighbors get some weekly. Mine is frozen, smoked, and canned. But not a lot of trout since I don't fish for them.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:16 am

I freeze some fish but it always gets eaten. I to also give some to family so they to can enjoy some fresh fish. I also wonder about who many fish people take home full limits day after day but as long as there not wasted enjoy them.

I read reports of people catching there limits of kokes and think how the heck can they eat that much fish and the limits on what you can have on hand makes me wonder as well. But family comes first and we don't all know what everyone does or needs are so keep fishing and pass it along and enjoy!! But please don't let it go to waste, I think for the most part everyone here does there part and there hearts are in the right place.

Tight lines,
Eric
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Yes, there is the daily limit and the possession limit. But no freezer limit, lol. I feast on kokanee all winter long, vacusealed over the spring summer. This year I ran out just in time for spring fishing on Lake Stevens. Working on lowering that cholesterol!

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 am

Mike Carey wrote:Yes, there is the daily limit and the possession limit. But no freezer limit, lol. I feast on kokanee all winter long, vacusealed over the spring summer. This year I ran out just in time for spring fishing on Lake Stevens. Working on lowering that cholesterol!

I can't catch enough Kokes to keep up with my appetite! They are some tasty "cholesterol reducing" morsels!
The last batch I smoked we're gone before they even cooled off!

I love fishing, and so really enjoy eating what I catch is a bonus. It gives me an excuse to go fish! :cheers:
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Yes, there is the daily limit and the possession limit. But no freezer limit, lol. I feast on kokanee all winter long, vacusealed over the spring summer. This year I ran out just in time for spring fishing on Lake Stevens. Working on lowering that cholesterol!
I am a hunter gatherer. Mine doesn't go to waste. I try to have enough until I can catch that species again.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:33 pm

At the end of the day, you will never know where these people put these fish. BUT, I guess you can tell yourself that the fish are planted fish, PLANTED for the purpose of catching and bringing home.
Yes, sometimes I even look at the "Regulars" on here, and wonder what they do with all the fish they catch. But, it's not for me to question. (Honestly, I'm probably jealous that they are catching so many fish, and have the opportunity to get out as much, etc.)
In my opinion, it's one thing to take a daily limit on a wild run of fish, but I don't really care about how many daily limits of fish someone takes from a WDFW "Stocked" portion of fish.
Those lakes that recently went up to 10 fish limits.. just catch them up. But if you are pulling limits 3x a week from native run fish, like Lake WA. Cutthroat... then I hope those anglers would take a moment to think about their actions.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:44 pm

In my case I have one of those wife things that has a tenancy to call everybody and say we got fish and call back if they want any of it. Next thing I know I have nothing for myself. So now I don't call her when I catch and return home with. That way we get some if any.

As for the Greenlake ones I will Catch and Release til my arms fall off or I become too bored of catching (and I guess it does occur at some point).

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:04 pm

So in the infinite wisdom of the WDFW they plant in excess of 300K fish on the westside and increase the creel limits to 10 fish without even a single fish on the east side anybody having trouble with this but ME?

I saw a few years ago where they released a ton of fish in lake sacajewea during a spring break so the westside youth had fish for a spring break but not one fish on this side.

Just another example of why the east side is nothing more than a stepchild and it all is run by the Liberals who look out for my best interest's.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 pm

The Quadfather wrote:At the end of the day, you will never know where these people put these fish. BUT, I guess you can tell yourself that the fish are planted fish, PLANTED for the purpose of catching and bringing home.
Yes, sometimes I even look at the "Regulars" on here, and wonder what they do with all the fish they catch. But, it's not for me to question. (Honestly, I'm probably jealous that they are catching so many fish, and have the opportunity to get out as much, etc.)
In my opinion, it's one thing to take a daily limit on a wild run of fish, but I don't really care about how many daily limits of fish someone takes from a WDFW "Stocked" portion of fish.
Those lakes that recently went up to 10 fish limits.. just catch them up. But if you are pulling limits 3x a week from native run fish, like Lake WA. Cutthroat... then I hope those anglers would take a moment to think about their actions.
Well said.
Toni "Hunter Gatherer" - I love it! This is what God intended us to be. As anglers we have a special connection to the earth that people that buy their food at Safeway will never experience. Thank you Toni for summing it up so succinctly. =D>

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer

Post by ridgeratt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:At the end of the day, you will never know where these people put these fish. BUT, I guess you can tell yourself that the fish are planted fish, PLANTED for the purpose of catching and bringing home.
Well said.
Toni "Hunter Gatherer" - I love it! This is what God intended us to be. As anglers we have a special connection to the earth that people that buy their food at Safeway will never experience. Thank you Toni for summing it up so succinctly. =D>

Still doesn't address why just the west side? Do you think we quit fishing once Halloween passes? Maybe it is because we have roads that are impassable by westside standards?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm

May have something to do with how many licenses are bought in a particular county, etc.
Who knows.. But I don't think it has to be about liberals/ conservatives.
Over here on the Westside it may look like we are getting all these great plants, but seriously, you have all the great native fish, streams, etc. Don't be worried about 11" planter trout.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer

Post by ridgeratt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 pm

The Quadfather wrote:May have something to do with how many licenses are bought in a particular county, etc.
Who knows.. But I don't think it has to be about liberals/ conservatives.
Over here on the Westside it may look like we are getting all these great plants, but seriously, you have all the great native fish, streams, etc. Don't be worried about 11" planter trout.
If they are basing the plants on licenses sold thats a load! What ever happened to the term "parody" equal for all?
That would make as much sense then if the east side set a quota on how many folks drove across to hunt. I'm in favor of eliminating Sunday hunting in this state just to give the resource a break. What would that do to the Hoards of folks who drive over here?

You would scream like we stole your oatmeal.

I'm not worried about the amount of planters since those aren't the fish I target. But there are lots of folks over here who do and in the same logic. They could utilize the resource just as well as anyone else.