Easton Ponds

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Easton Ponds

Post by kevinb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm

We're camping directly across from Lake Easton but with the exception of a nice view, Lake Easton has not been fun to fish. I did some browsing around and was curious about the Easton Ponds. We'll have plenty of youngsters in our group between my kids followed by nieces and nephews. As always the goal is to keep kids interested. I'm trying to pack lite, so I'm thinking a few spoons, spinners and possibly powerbait. I guess I'm just curious to get some feedback and/or suggestions on tackle or any other kind of information as I have never fished here.

Random question- Although I don't usually see them until around Ellensburg, should I be aware of the possibility of rattlesnakes in this area? Something I wouldn't normally think of but with plenty of kids/toddlers running around I feel inclined to ask.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Easton Ponds

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 pm

I've fished them many times as a kid and always caught lots. The fishing is better than Easton because they don't stock it anymore. Snakes..... Well they can be anywhere over there but I wouldn't worry much at all in that area. On the fringe of the mountains. A little bit farther east and I'd keep a weather eye out.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:54 am

I guess that would explain our poor fishing over the year's at Lake Easton. I appreciate the info, thank you Bodofish!

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 am

Easton ponds are great, and it's connected to the Yakima river so sometimes you can catch really nice fish out of there.

No rattlers, maybe some garter snakes. The pond also has a really weird looking amphibian like a fat headed really big salamander. Pretty cool.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:37 pm

kevinb wrote:I guess that would explain our poor fishing over the year's at Lake Easton. I appreciate the info, thank you Bodofish!
Yeah the silliest thing of all.... No stocking for trout in Easton because they might pollute the pristine gene pool that are the trout of the Yakima river.

Lets see... Stocked Easton with trout for 60+ years, stocked all the ponds along I90 and 82 for almost as long and just in the past few years they've gotten concerned about the totally bastardized gene pool in the Yak. Only the WDFW could make a leap like that. It's sort of like shutting down hatcheries to increase the numbers on the steelhead runs.... Derp, Derp, Derp.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:36 am

Ha, yeah, not sure what that's about. Heading out in a few minutes but wanted to jump in and say thanks again Bodo and Mordalphus.