Favorite trout spinners

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dbfisherman
Petty Officer

Favorite trout spinners

Post by dbfisherman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:56 pm

What spinner bait for trout seems to work the best?

gpc
Admiral

RE:Favorite trout spinners

Post by gpc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:11 pm

There are quite a few out there that will do the trick. Your best bet is to do some research at the lake that you plan on fishing. There is a lot of good info on this site in the fishing reports section, but the best thing to do is talk to other fisherman at the lake, or talk to the people that run the tackle shops on the lake. My favorite are probably blue foxes. I really like rooster tails but it is really easy to bend the the thing that the blade is on and then the blade wont spin right. There is a rooster tail like lure that is made by Gitzit and they are sold for $1. They work just as well as roostertails but dont come in as many colors and the feathers arnt tied as well. I use Kastmasters and Krocodiles more than spinners though. Its really just personal preference, but you have to real spinners a little faster to get the blade to spin and spoons a little slower so they wobble and not roll. So it all depends if the fish want a slower or faster presentation. I also like to use krill grease and that really makes difference. But with spinners you have to be careful where you put the grease because it will gum up the spinner and the blade wont spin.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Spoons over spinners for me.

Best spinners based upon personal results= wedding rings

Nothing beats flatfish/hotshots though...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

dbfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by dbfisherman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:08 pm

If your using a spinner you have an advantage over spoons in the bait factor. Spinners you can put on a tip of a worm or corn or whatever without imparting any action, and it's tough to tip a spoon without ruining it's action. So you have to stick with artificial scents with spoons.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:11 am

Panther Martins hands down number one spinner for trout!!! In moving water or troll, I like the Super Dupers, too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:37 am

traded almost all my roostertails for panther martins. cast for cast they have produced better results both rivers and lakes. for trout and panfish. <')//<

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:43 am

For rivers I've done great with panther martins...Really good. I had one Panther martin that cast after cast brought me a bow or a brown from this one stretch of river every night I went down there...

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:00 am

I definitely don't like Rooster Tails. They are cheaply made and the wire is so thin that I have actually bent them up just getting them out of the package.

Does anyone out here use Mepps Aglia?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:30 pm

A little Cavdad,

I got a few still sitting around the tacklebox....

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:07 am

the next spinner lure that i would have would be the pistol pete. its a spinner fly. i've landed 5lb bass, crappie, bluegill, and lots of trout, flyfisherman roll their eyes at this lure because its tech, not a true fly!? but it sure does catch fish. <')//<

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:10 pm

Since my college days I have used the Mepp’s green Roostertail spinner and have caught more bass and trout on them than I ever expected. When the fish aren’t biting I toss the green Roostertail and I always seem to catch fish. Great spinner. I am also interested in the panther martin since reading this post. I know were talkin spinners here but we all know that some lures work better in certain lakes than others. Weird! In Heart Lake near Anacortes I troll the red Rebel mini craw and absolutely knock em dead the first 6 weeks after the opener. Yes it’s usually the plants that are biting this diving bait but it works like a champ. Good topic. Good to hear what everyone is using. Always room in the tackle box for another lure or spinner. Good luck fishin.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:51 pm

Hey Dave, toss a Super Duper at Heart Lake. It was always a killer for us in the early trout season. Just put a couple splitshot about 18" ahead of the lure for distance.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:30 pm

Just 18 inches cavdad? I try and keep my weights and swivels atleast 3 feet away from the lure...

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 am

I think Mepps are far more durable than Rooster Tails, but a black Rooster tail with silver blades is a must in my tackle box. The red and copper Super Duper is deadly as well. Don't be fooled by brass and red. I am with Sam though spoons rock. #1 red and white needlefish are my favorite. they used to never have spinners but now are all made with a little spinner at the end. My reeling arm is still sore from the last time I used one.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:55 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Just 18 inches cavdad? I try and keep my weights and swivels atleast 3 feet away from the lure...
Easier to cast. Don't feel like a cowboy with a lariat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Hahahaha. True. I think it's still pretty manageable with a bit more leader though?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 am

JimLyons wrote:I think Mepps are far more durable than Rooster Tails, but a black Rooster tail with silver blades is a must in my tackle box. The red and copper Super Duper is deadly as well. Don't be fooled by brass and red. I am with Sam though spoons rock. #1 red and white needlefish are my favorite. they used to never have spinners but now are all made with a little spinner at the end. My reeling arm is still sore from the last time I used one.

You brought up a good point JimLyons, that I forgot to mention. When going for trout the blades on your spinner must be silver or brass. But I prefer silver.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:30 am

A rule of thumb that some use for determining spinner colors is this:
Silver for clear water or sunny days with good water visibility.
Brass for darker or dirtier water (less visibility)

A lot of it is preference though. I don't find myself using this rule that much at all..

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:41 pm

i always did good with green wedding ring with silver blade
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!