Lake Cushman info

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Trouttrakr
Petty Officer

Lake Cushman info

Post by Trouttrakr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm

We are heading up to Lake Cushman for Father's Day and my B-day. When I lived over on that side I had fished it a few times with limited luck. Probably becuase I was on the shore and it's a huge lake. I have tried researching, as I normally do, but there really isn't much out there. I have a feeling its a sleeper, especially for cuts and chinook. I now have a boat and equipment and hope to get a nice father's and birthday present. Do any of you know about this lake? I've fished large bodies before, including Chelan, Kachees, etc. There just doesn't seem to be many people that talk about this beautiful lake.

Thanks for the help.
Have fun and be safe.
Dan ](*,)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Lake Cushman info

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:07 pm

What species of fish do you plan on fishing for?
Tom.

Interests: living

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 pm

There are kokes in it, and they can be easily caught on kokanee gear. Although I've heard of other folks not doing so well. I've mainly fished the upper end, there are tons of stumps and cover that you can see that have bass hanging around. It is really neat up there.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 am

You can also fish for land locked Chinook and there is or was a good population of RBT. All the Kokes I've seen come out of the lake are what I would call bait..... I'll second the stumps of fear! Not so sure about bass, the water is awful clean and clear.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Trouttrakr
Petty Officer

Post by Trouttrakr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks for all of your replies. As far as what am I targeting, mostly kokes and trout. I've heard there are LM in there but it seems like the lake would be too cool for that, but plan on targeting them as well. I know where the stumps are and there are huge bolders as well. I've recond it when the lake level was very low. The chinook sounds like a plan as well. I know they tend to stay on the deep drop-offs opposite the road, but not sure what technique would work for them. I would assume trolling, but would be nice if jigging works as well since I don't have a down rigger. So, mostly what I'm looking for is hardware and technique there. We are staying in the newly re-openned, ex-state owned camping area. It's now called Skokomish Park at Lake Cushman. It's now owned by the tribe. I spoke with the people there and it sounds like they've corrected all the problems present before. They just openned last month. The dam has been fixed and the lake is back to full levels again. I will do a write-up when we get back.

Thanks for the info.

Dan [thumbsup] :salut:

Kokanee Kid
Petty Officer

Post by Kokanee Kid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 am

Go get em =D>

I will be up there the end of July [biggrin]

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 am