greenlake (king county)

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ryan_1
Petty Officer

greenlake (king county)

Post by Ryan_1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm

hi, does anyone know when greenlake will be stocked this year? Also what gear would you recomend for trout fishing?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:greenlake (king county)

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 pm

My guess is you don't need to wait for stocking unless you want some little pea dinkers. Get out and float a worm or a piece of prawn. Hit it while the water is still cool.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Greenlake is one of my favorite in the city lakes for trout. Like Bodo said.. forget about the stocking schedual. Come around May when it has warmed up it is a very active lake for some nice trout. The last 2 hours before sunset there will be fish rising everywhere. The triploids are in there and easily caught. My go-to bait is a nightcrawler under a bobber. I usually fish from a float tube, but I've done fine from the West bank. Of course there is access anywhere. Also German Brown trout occaisonaly (sp?) caught from slow trolling a nightcrawler. Just go read all of the reports in the history under Green Lake.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Like said above - don't wait until it's stocked (I think it is in April sometime). The best time is actually spring before they stock it - the holdovers are hungry. I actually caught my largest Brown to date in there a couple years ago right before they stocked it (released).

I have my best luck just slow trolling a worm with little to no weight (I mean s-l-o-w) so it would bounce along the bottom.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Green lake received 5,000 catchables on the 4th and another 5,000 catchables on the 8th.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Does it have a boat launch...??? lol...
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:53 am

sickbayer wrote:Does it have a boat launch...??? lol...
Quite a few, you just gotta carry the boat to em.. :-"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am

No motors of any kind! Its been illegal to even use electric as far as I can remember, unless its been changed? I got busted!!
Crew team has a special permit to use a motor while working with the crew teams.
Cast first, worry later.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 am

They typically stock it third or fourth week of March. But they're the little 8 to 10"s. Pretty much what everyones saying, you should get out there before the hatchery fish, this lake has plenty of holdovers. Best is to get out there on a boat or a canoe, NO MOTORS including electric, never understood that part, the crew guys can run around with their 2 stroke out boards all over the lake and the rest of us have to paddle.

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 am

I think the motor restriction is to discourage large scale fishing, so as to keep the water clear for the shell rowers. There are almost always lane bouys setup that about cover the entire lake. I caught a decent fish there this morning, see the report. And the interwebs says 10000 fish were planted there within the past 10 days.
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you