Bleeding Trout

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Bleeding Trout

Post by anakpinoy4 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 am

Do any of you guys bleed your trout after catching? I mean I do it with salmon and steelhead, but what about bows from a lake?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Bleeding Trout

Post by A9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:51 am

Slit their gills, let em bleed out alive then bonk em over the head. Throw em on ice immediately after. I do it with all my fish.

Leaving trout on a stringer alive in the lake struggling and building up lactic acid isn't the best way to keep your meat fresh.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 am

Like A9 said, I think it's a good way to make them taste the best, but I don't seem to notice the off flavor with smaller trout as much as I do with larger trout (16"+) and salmon if you don't bleed them immediately. Therefore, I don't always clean my trout right after they're caught. Opinions?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am

First off, I don't use a stringer, except for Steelhead when I am shore bound. I then bleed them immediately upon deciding to keep them, period, enough said. A9 hit it on the head.

If I am fishing from the boat, in cold to cool water, I drop them in the live well. The fish has already got a load of lactic acid from the fight, and a couple of hours swimming in a cold and very well oxygenated and circulated live well is just the trick. Before I leave, I bleed them before they hit the cooler.

If I am fishing from the boat in warm water, I release all trout, period, enough said. I do often drop them in the live well to perk them up first, but I also drop a block of ice in it to cool the water.

I know people that claim they hate fish, but their idea of fish is one that has sit on a stringer, for hours, in 60 to 80 degree water (your refrigerator at home is colder then 50 degrees), dead or dying, and wonder why the fish taste "fishy". bleeding that kind of fish will help, but not enough.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:33 am

I do use a stringer, but only in the very short term in cool weather. I clean my fish at the lake shortly after the catch and put them on ice. If the sun is shining or the weather is warm; I clean my fish right away and get them on ice ASAP.

I see too many fish wasted by people leaving them to turn white on a stringer and put in a plastic bag with no ice (uncleaned) for the long ride home.

Smar969905
Petty Officer

Post by Smar969905 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm

i have always used a stringer and keep the fish in the water, but it is just how i have been raised for fishing. i do clean them where i caught them though, so they don't have the guts inside for the ride home.

i guess i should try some of these other methods soon and see if the fish comes out tasting better. i just haven't been that picky on it.
Image Image
If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape, then it isn't broken

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Land fish, bonk on head, get line back in the water, cut and clean....repeat 4 more times...

Immediately into the ice chest if available--and why would you fish without one?

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:55 pm

If at the end of the day your fish have smelled "fishy" you need to listen and follow through using the good advise above.
Life's short - fish hard!