favorite trolling lures

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HillbillyGeek
Captain

RE:favorite trolling lures

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm

I've never caught anything with Dick Nite spoons -- until today. They are now my favorite trolling lure for little stockers! The hot ticket: One side orange and the other white (mid-size).

Fish were hitting topwater so I did not add any weight and trolled just fast enough for the spoon to wobble instead of wiggle. I caught at least 20 fish in a couple of hours! :cheers:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Rob G. wrote:needlefish
:-$ The only way to go...:-$ But for the stockers flies work really well...prince nymphs!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:47 am

As of yesterday my favorite trolling lure is a floating rapala with a little weight ahead of the lure about 2 feet. caught me a huge holdover rainbow.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 am

Fisherman_max wrote:As of yesterday my favorite trolling lure is a floating rapala with a little weight ahead of the lure about 2 feet. caught me a huge holdover rainbow.
I have learned to like these also this weekend :cheers: Fun way to catch stockers also!!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:30 am

In a recent Post Sam Kafelafish provided us with a tip for better hook sets by changing out the treble hooks on size F4 flatfish and putting on a Gamakatsu size 8 Siwash hook. Sam said this could also be done on other trout plugs. This worked noticeably better for me yesterday forcing the trout to hook themselves during the strike all but eliminating the fishes ability to throw the hook. I have lost many fish using a treble hook and on yesterday's trip to Heart Lake in Skagit County, I didn't miss a fish. I was very impressed with this set up and now definitely recommend it as well. Thanks to Sam for the tip, it worked like a champ.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:23 am

Dave wrote:In a recent Post Sam Kafelafish provided us with a tip for better hook sets by changing out the treble hooks on size F4 flatfish and putting on a Gamakatsu size 8 Siwash hook. Sam said this could also be done on other trout plugs. This worked noticeably better for me yesterday forcing the trout to hook themselves during the strike all but eliminating the fishes ability to throw the hook. I have lost many fish using a treble hook and on yesterday's trip to Heart Lake in Skagit County, I didn't miss a fish. I was very impressed with this set up and now definitely recommend it as well. Thanks to Sam for the tip, it worked like a champ.
Glad I could help. I do find that using the single Siwashs, I land the fish I hook much more then with those trebles...I would sometimes miss as many as 50% of my strikes and when hooked, 50% of the fish...No fun to have that happen...

I can't say that siwash's stick and hold 100% of the time, but often times they work awesome...
Earlier this spring I went out to a trout lake probably 5 times over the course of a few days, had roughly 40 hits, and managed to land about 34 of those fish...That's not a bad ratio. I think I only lost 1 fish midway through the fight. The rest were just quick hits and left.

Note: If you are going to use a Rapala or flatfish bigger then the F4 size, you'll probably need to consider using a size 6 Siwash if you are both chasing bigger fish and using a bigger plug
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks again Sam. The hook set was amazing! These fish I caught were hooked so well, I could have played them for hours and given them slack and they would have never got off. I will never use a flatfish again without using the setup you recommended. Good call for sure. I have some Rebel mini craws and some small sinking Rapalas. Do you think these would work with the same single hook set up or would it effect the action? Thanks.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Dave wrote:Thanks again Sam. The hook set was amazing! These fish I caught were hooked so well, I could have played them for hours and given them slack and they would have never got off. I will never use a flatfish again without using the setup you recommended. Good call for sure. I have some Rebel mini craws and some small sinking Rapalas. Do you think these would work with the same single hook set up or would it effect the action? Thanks.
I don't think that any small plug/crankbait would have it's action imparted/ruined by using a single Siwash instead of a treble hook....
I would think it would work just fine for trout, especially trolling....

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:16 pm

That's what I was hoping you would say. I will change my small plugs out. Thanks.

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Tue May 06, 2008 9:37 pm

For a slow troll I enjoy a wedding ring, usually orange in color with a tip of worm added on.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Jeez bustin been a LONG time since we've seen you back... What you been up to lately?
Hope all is well

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri May 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Welcome back, Bustin. Kick of your shoes and stay awhile. Big improvements in the site coming up in a couple of weeks.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri May 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Streamers/nymphs or needlefish fellas for troutsters...

Needlers...ahhh...K_T_K
Get with the Fast Money Bros

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Ahhh heck, why not. Another little secret tactic I have that I can't keep away from people forever...Sometimes just a chunk of worm on a baitholder hook (plus desired weight) will take fish when a lure just can't get a bite. I like to troll about as slow as possible, sometimes not even trolling at all, just letting a slight wind move me around...

If it's dead calm out there, just using a weightless setup with a worm on a hook will take em too. Just let it slowly sink down and you'll know when you get a hit. Your line will start moving or your line will get tight and you'll know...

Sometimes going old school is the only way to go....

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat May 10, 2008 11:28 am

Awoods wrote:elongated powerbait. It works like a charm
How do you make elongated power Bait?

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:45 am

fishing collector wrote:
Awoods wrote:elongated powerbait. It works like a charm
How do you make elongated power Bait?
It's like a hot dog shaped glob of PB, as opposed to a simple ball..

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat May 10, 2008 11:50 am

One of my Fav's is a single #8 hook and a piece of yellow Berkley power worm (small ones) about 3/4 to 1 in long,hooked so it dangles with a short end and long end....Then a Small Garlic marshmallow..then Power bait...I have been using some Lemon or Lime Twist shaped into a little football. I bought 10 jars 4 years ago and I am about out. I don't think they make it any more. So I will use Rainbow or what ever the locals use. Then I put the fake worm piece hanging over the PB and Marshmallow.... Then use some Stinky stuff....No special type.......... The whole mess is about 1 inch long... The worm will stay on for several fish or 20+ casts... This has worked for me off the docks and I seem to catch more than most around me. Good Luck....

When trolling I have used Triple Teasers, Dick nites. Black spinner flies, Black Gnats or Whooly B's trolled fairly close to the surface. I collect fishing stuff and I like to use the old stuff but I have never found any of it that works as well as some of the modern lures; ie., Rapalas, Hot shots, etc. I think you should try different things and you might hit on some super lure. Good luck..."Take a kid or old guy or gal fishing"
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 16, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun May 18, 2008 1:00 pm

I was watching a fishing show on FSN this morning and they were at Rufus Woods. It was winter time. They were using some new lures from Mack's called "Promise Keepers" the color was Black/Blue with a Black bucktail with some shiney threads in it. After watching them catch and release 10 Trips and keep some in the 8lb range, I think I will add these to my box. I ended up ordering them direct from Mack's in Wenachee because I could not find them local. Another lure they used was called a Hum Bait, Quiver Spoon. Mack's is the same company that makes "Wedding Rings". The guys fishing said that these lures would not be sent to retail outlets until April/May. If anyone has seen these post a blip. I couldn't find them after calling some stores around Edmonds. Yep! This lure is a definite keeper!!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun May 18, 2008 2:22 pm

fishing collector wrote:I was watching a fishing show on FSN this morning and they were at Rufus Woods. It was winter time. They were using some new lures from Mack's called "Promise Keepers" the color was Black/Blue with a Black bucktail with some shiney threads in it. After watching them catch and release 10 Trips and keep some in the 8lb range, I think I will add these to my box. I ended up ordering them direct from Mack's in Wenachee because I could not find them local. Another lure they used was called a Hum Bait, Quiver Spoon. Mack's is the same company that makes "Wedding Rings". The guys fishing said that these lures would not be sent to retail outlets until April/May. If anyone has seen these post a blip. I couldn't find them after calling some stores around Edmonds. Yep! This lure is a definite keeper!!
I have used those promise keepers they aren't that new they catch big fish:cheers: I believe at the Offut lakes Opener third place was caught on one:-$

I have used those on one poll and my friend out fished me all the time with one of my special wedding rings#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 18, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:48 pm

fishing collector wrote:I was watching a fishing show on FSN this morning and they were at Rufus Woods. It was winter time. They were using some new lures from Mack's called "Promise Keepers" the color was Black/Blue with a Black bucktail with some shiney threads in it. After watching them catch and release 10 Trips and keep some in the 8lb range, I think I will add these to my box. I ended up ordering them direct from Mack's in Wenachee because I could not find them local. Another lure they used was called a Hum Bait, Quiver Spoon. Mack's is the same company that makes "Wedding Rings". The guys fishing said that these lures would not be sent to retail outlets until April/May. If anyone has seen these post a blip. I couldn't find them after calling some stores around Edmonds. Yep! This lure is a definite keeper!!
That show was called Hawg Quest its on my tivo i like those guys:cheers:
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/