rapalas/kastmasters

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:rapalas/kastmasters

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:05 am

Not sure how, but Fishingfools favorite kastmaster also seemed to catch Pink Salmon as well. Yep, the guys tossing 1/4 oz kastmasters in silver/orange accent where keeping up with me in catching those pinks...When they realized that the fish were in the bottom portion of the water column, they were catching em pretty good....Not as good as pink dick nites, green or pink jigs, but dang close...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:35 am

PS, at the end of my line, I have a snap clip? I think that's what you call it.

They originally have a swivel on there, but I didnt want it there for my application. So I cut off the swivel and only use the snap clip.

This way, I can quickly switch lures without having to retie a bunch of times. So far, I havent had any troubles with it.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:42 am

You can buy just the snap clips...
Joes has em...

I don't love using them that much. Personally, I like using a barrel swivel with lighter leader going to the lure. Helps keep your mainline from getting all twisted and messed up....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:10 am

Anyone know the largest size "Husky Jerk" made? Has anyone used the X-rap? Do you like it? and how have you used it?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:13 am

kevinb wrote:Anyone know the largest size "Husky Jerk" made? Has anyone used the X-rap? Do you like it? and how have you used it?
Might wanna start a new thread to pose that question...

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:31 am

yeah,probably right.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:01 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:You can buy just the snap clips...
Joes has em...

I don't love using them that much. Personally, I like using a barrel swivel with lighter leader going to the lure. Helps keep your mainline from getting all twisted and messed up....
yup i agree with sam. if you use a barrel swivel it will greatly reduce line twist. which is a big problem with smaller lures like these.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:You can buy just the snap clips...
Joes has em...

I was currently using 5lb FC line. Right now trying out some of that new Berkley FC 4lb test.

I havent noticed any issues with line twist and such.

Also pic of the new kastmaster i was talking about. Even the paint/color is different. It has a high gloss look to it, instead of that flat look.

PS, I dont really care for the cheap feel/looking hooks that come with kastmasters, so i replace them with Owners or Gats. Cant find the small trembles in the local stores, such as size 12/14 and such. So i order them online directly from Owners.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeC.
Angler

Post by JoeC. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:24 am

Do you guys use any special retrieve with the Kastmasters (slow/ quick etc).. and do you let them sink down a bit, or at the surface ?

Thanks,

Joe

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:34 am

JoeC. wrote:Do you guys use any special retrieve with the Kastmasters (slow/ quick etc).. and do you let them sink down a bit, or at the surface ?

Thanks,

Joe
Depends on where the fish are...Casting and retrieving kastmasters really only works when the trout are at the surface, or atleast the top 10-15 feet. Depending on what the fish want, you cater to them. If they like it worked slow, then use that retrieve...If they are slamming right under the surface, then stick with that method...Just test around a bit. Sometimes they will be right at the surface, other times they will be 5-10 feet deep.

JoeC.
Angler

Post by JoeC. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks Sam!

Joseph
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:00 pm

So it seems casting from shore with a rapala is my best bet. Does anyone have any favorite colors? Above the swivel should i put a bullet weight or barrel weight?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:05 pm

KurtO wrote:So it seems casting from shore with a rapala is my best bet. Does anyone have any favorite colors? Above the swivel should i put a bullet weight or barrel weight?
I think a Kastmaster is better from shore...A Kastmaster itself is a weighted spoon, hence no need for any additional weight..

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:18 pm

There are so many different kinds of these lures....

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:53 pm

So it seems casting from shore with a rapala is my best bet. Does anyone have any favorite colors? Above the swivel should i put a bullet weight or barrel weight

I have yet to try rapalas for recently stocked fish. my faverate rapala is the countdown because the added weigh allows you to cast further and they have a more wiggly action compaired to the original. I use the firetiger color because it tends to attract there atention. If you cannot cast far enough do not use an egg weight or bullet sinker. most likely if your not casting far its because of the lb test line you're using.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:09 pm

KurtO wrote:There are so many different kinds of these lures....
Yes it can be very intimidating and confusing. Don't worry about it. They all catch fish. Ask 10 different trout fishermen what their favorite lure is and you will get likely more then 6 or 7 different answers...It's all about confidence. Most all trout lures will hook up when the trout are biting...

Kastmasters are a very easy lure to use. Pair it up with some 4 or 6lb line and just start casting that thing out and the trout will jump all over it.

Don't be intimidated by the large amounts of lures available. I have about every single type of trout lure available in tackle shops. I only use a few of them though. It takes some learning and you have to be confident in what you are using.

Kastmasters WILL work and are the only thing I use when trout are right on top of the water...I don't love to troll when in this situation because you are just going to simply spook the fish. To combat that, you have to run your line way back behind the boat. I don't really love doing that cause then you play the fish far too long and it's just a pain for other fishermen if theres traffic. I just whip out a rod that is has the kastmaster on it and cast it around...It will catch trout, provided that they are up top in the water column...

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:08 pm

Thank you Sam. I'll purchase some kastmasters tomorrow after work, then head out to BattleGround or Lacamas.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Kast Masters work well off the Dock at edmonds...CHROME/BLUE FOR CUTTS AND SILVERS and also for steelhead off Bush Point and really well between Edmonds and Mukilteo, out at the break for cutthroat ..6-12 ft water.....Gotta luv it...I know this isn't lake stuff but Kastmasters are for lot's of fish in different areas..... The word is "agressive" If the fish is agressive then the Kastmasters work...

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:00 pm

kevinb wrote:Anyone know the largest size "Husky Jerk" made? Has anyone used the X-rap? Do you like it? and how have you used it?
Other than the 30in ones that rapela makes check out ebay for some salt water lures. I have seen them up to 10" . I am sure you can find them bigger if needed.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 pm

big fish lite line wrote:Above the swivel should i put a bullet weight or barrel weight
NO WEIGHT. Kastmasters themselves are weighted, and if you pair it with another weight, especially a sliding bullet weight, the kastmaster and the weight actually work against each other. Kastmasters themselves have enough weight to get them out there far enough. If not, try a lighter lb test line and a lighter action rod. I'd look for something like a 6' or 6'6" light action rod with 4 or 6lb test, and that would be the ideal setup for casting weighted lures.

8lb test (or more) and rods with anything more then light or medium light action just do not do the same work as a lighter action rod. They do not have the correct "whip" to it to get out a 1/4oz or 1/8oz kastmaster....