Sonar interfernce on Lake Chelan

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hutchings
Angler

Sonar interfernce on Lake Chelan

Post by hutchings » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

I was fishing north of the Lake Chelan Yacht Club on Saturday March 25th. My sonar, Lawrence Elite 7, was constantly getting interference to the point I couldn't see if I was marking fish or not. Whether I was close to another boat or not made no difference. Later I moved down by the blue roof condos and other spots and it worked as expected. Has anyone else had this experience?

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Sonar interfernce on Lake Chelan

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am

Did you happen to get a screen shot you can post? That would help in figuring out the problem.

Did it change at all as other boats were closer or further away?

Were you using an electric trolling motor at the time?

hutchings
Angler

Post by hutchings » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I didn't think to take a screen shot at the time. The interference might have increased some when close to another boat but the majority of the interference was constant. No electric trolling motor or other electronic devises were in use. There was a water pump-out station operating on the shore opposite the yacht club.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Its possible the pump station motors were generating some sort of noise that would cause your problem, but it sounds like at least a part of it was another boat or boats operating on the same frequency as your sonar. Depending on how much power the other boat is putting out, it can travel quite a ways. Could even have been a boat or boats in the marina.

I used to get that a lot when salmon fishing with the crowd off Point Defiance. My new CHIRP sonar seems really good at rejecting noise like that compared to my old one.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm going with Nessy........ [razz]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 pm

...and her babies...
Tom.

Interests: living

hutchings
Angler

Post by hutchings » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 pm

I fish at Buoy 10 and Brewster where I'm constantly in the vicinity of other boats and deal with the intermittent interference it causes. But this is different, no matter how far I got from other boats the interference didn't go away nor did it decrease in intensity. Plus the fact that it completely stopped when I move down lake by the condos makes it even more puzzling. I will be back there this coming weekend and it will be interesting to see what happens. My money is on the pump station with Nessy running a close 2nd. Thanks for your time and the input Larry. I appreciate it.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:06 am

If its the pump, it should get stronger as you get closer.

Unless you have some sort of intermittent electrical issue, thats most likely what it is.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:52 am

That happens to me on Lake Wenatchee. When I get close to one certain house my Garmin totally wacks out. I have to shut it down and restart it after we are past that one house, crazy. This has happen the past three years.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 am

hewesbob wrote:That happens to me on Lake Wenatchee. When I get close to one certain house my Garmin totally wacks out. I have to shut it down and restart it after we are past that one house, crazy. This has happen the past three years.
Interesting! I wonder what they could have that would cause that? It must be something that is sending electrical noise or sound signals into the water in some manner.

They could have one of those Invisible Fence things buried in the ground, but I think they operate on much lower frequencies than our sonar. Possibly a noise spa or pool pump? Not sure how that kind of noise would get into the lake though unless is was a spa out on a dock maybe.

Sorry, I get side tracked thinking about odd tech issues like this... :)

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

ufo.jpg

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 pm

I wonder if a short into the water would do that? Might be something they should know about if it is...

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:56 am

I'd bet on a pump motor of some sort. To become more efficient, more and more electric motors are being controled using pulse width modulation, the same technology that higher end electric trolling motors use to prolong battery life. If you have fished in the Sound and were near a ferry leaving port, you probably have seen the this type of interference on you sonar as they also use this tech in their diesel/electric propulsion system.

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:19 pm

This may sound simple but check to make sure your depth setting is deep enough. I also experienced what seemed to be interference once when fishing a deeper than normal lake I usually fish. After checking my sensitivity and a few other settings I realized that my depth setting was to shallow. I reset to the proper depth and unit worked great. Sometimes it may be a simple fix - good luck.

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by downriggeral » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:08 pm

I have found using the 83 kh setting really helps on Chelan. The sonar MUST lock on the bottom for the sonar unit to work. Hope that helps - Alan
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

hutchings
Angler

Post by hutchings » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Alan (downriggeral) hit the nail on the head. After reading his suggestion on Saturday night I adjusted the setting to 83kh and the problem went away. I didn't have much time to test it out for very long before the wind blew us off the lake. Thanks to all for their inputs and suggestions. I was really hoping we had found Nessy.

Chetco
Petty Officer

Post by Chetco » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Heck just get old and you can't hear all the background noise. :-"