Gearing up for this season!

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
burton31m
Angler

Gearing up for this season!

Post by burton31m » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:01 am

What are all your new additions/restocks for this season? I'm getting back into the sport and noticed my tackle box low on gear.

Chromer
Petty Officer

Re: Gearing up for this season!

Post by Chromer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:33 am

what type of fishing do you do? trolling with hardware, flies? bait?

burton31m
Angler

Post by burton31m » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:01 am

Trolling. Currently I have no downriggers. So it would be flat lining until summer and maybe invest in some dowriggers.

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 am

i've never used downriggers for lakes. I'd stock up on flatfish and hotshot. deadly for trout. also you can troll wolley buggers with a spinning rod easily. That works wonders too

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:25 am

If you need to target a specific depth nothing beats a downrigger in my opinion but they are not an absolute necessity. There are inline triangle shaped trolling weights that are effective if you need to get deeper later on in the season.
I troll a lot for kokanee and trout, a DN dodger and wedding ring is my #1 set up and probably caught 90% of the fish last year.
I've seen flatfish, needlefish, DN spoons be effective as well, just not for me yet. Good luck!

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 am

i know nothing about trolling really, buuuuttttt, ive heard alot of people talking about berkley gulp maggots and corn on their wedding rings and spoons and stuff

burton31m
Angler

Post by burton31m » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

Any specific sizes on the flat fish?

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:54 am

F-4 flatfish and hotshots are perfect for rainbows. I usually fish shallower lakes that don't require me to get down deep. Just need a barrel swivel, leader, and tie directly to the lure. You'll hit fish consistently, no question.

burton31m
Angler

Post by burton31m » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:06 pm

How about colors?

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19 pm

for flatfish, my favorite colors are: gold, silver, black with red spots, and also the frog pattern is very good. keep your speed slow and you will nail them. I like using castmasters and roostertails too! a small dodger trailed with a wedding ring tipped with worms, power eggs, corn, or Gulp maggots or even real maggots is effective as well
Eat, sleep, fish

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm

flatfish colors: brown trout, gold, black with green spots, perch colored, rainbow trout.

burton31m
Angler

Post by burton31m » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks, I'll have to grab some flatfish in various colors. Does anyone use any scents with lures that are not tiped with bait? For example, adding some pro-cure gel onto flatfish or rapalas.

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:20 pm

don't overlook hotshots as well. if they don't hit for me on flatfish, sometimes i go to a hotshot and it's fish on for a while. as for scents, i haven't used much of that, although i don't think it's a bad idea.

Ball_Gawd
Petty Officer

Post by Ball_Gawd » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:16 pm

I've been using Mack's Smiley Blade Flys (wooley bugger) for the last month and been slaying them. The other options listed above are all good too. I've also been adding a little Pro-Cure shrimp gel to get their attention.
WET HOOKS & TIGHT LINES
Ball_Gawd

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Rapala slays the trout f3-f5 perch, rainbow, and gold are productive color patterns. Olive or brown woolley buggers work well for trolling. Wedding rings are excellent for trolling. also try flat lining a hook and worm dead slow un weighted when there is alot of surface action going on, It's deadly.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.