An Introduction .........

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bluebiller
Petty Officer

An Introduction .........

Post by bluebiller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:45 am

Hello all,

I'm new on this website. And wish to introduce myself. Grew up in northern Minnesota. Avid fisherman and waterfowl hunter among other ..... and enjoy outdoors. I'm in my late 50's, close to retirement, perhaps in another 3-4 years. In good health. Live only 5 minutes from Lake Meridian.

Since this appears to be a Kokanee thread, I have a question about fishing these land locked salmon in Meridian from the docks and shore. I've never tried. Caught many rainbows there, but never a Koke.

What do you use for bait or lures from the docks for Koke's? I'll take "baby steps" here first ......... thanks ahead of time. Great website! and great hearing/reading from our members.

Gary
bluebiller
Kent, WA
"fish-on"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: An Introduction .........

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:59 am

Welcome to the site. About the only kokanee from shore fishing I'm aware of is Riffe lake in Cowlitz county, and those are actually silvers. As for Meridian, the public dock is fairly shallow. I think any koks you catch would be incidental.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

TBear_fishin
Petty Officer

Post by TBear_fishin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm surprised there aren't many replies to this post. I and other dock fishermen have caught Kokes from the furthest dock on Lake Meridian at the park. Three weeks ago I caught 2, both were in spawning colors. Previous months prior to that 12-13" bright silver specimens.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 pm

The only place I've seen success from the dock was at Angle, a guy was fishing a small piece of shrimp and worm beneath a slip bobber about 15' down. He killed them, caught one after another. I was on the lake trolling and didn't touch a fish that day....
I'd try something similar if you can get in deep enough water. Also try white shoepeg corn and/or pink maggot as bait. Good luck!