brown trout

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cohomaster
Angler

brown trout

Post by cohomaster » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:45 pm

i have a cabin in wyoming and brown trout are among my favorite trout species to catch and there is alot of them there. ive talked to some people without any success so i came here and im just wondering if anyone knows any brown trout rivers or lakes in washington with lots of brown trout?

iPodrodder
Commodore

RE:brown trout

Post by iPodrodder » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:49 pm

See the post "catch brown trout in green lake, pine lake, etc.?" in the trout section.

Welcome to WL.com

Edit: I moved this to the trout section for better results.

:safe: out.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 pm

Good luck. Unfortunately, there aren't too many browns around here. Your looking at a different trout scene here: Rainbows.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Welcome to the site. Good to have a trout fisherman here.

I am a fairly new fisherman, but my favorite fish to catch is trout. If you can find a place where the bass have not encroached you can find good trout.

Although there are bass in Lacamas lake there are still some trout. I caught three nice sized browns and a rainbow a few weeks back and a week ago Saturday I caught a 12" brown in the creek that feeds Lacamas. So they are still here...just not a lot.

Good luck and write reports when you find some, love to see pictures!!

Lewis

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:38 am

There are quite a few lakes here with brown trout. To find them follow the links page to the stocking reports.

Lewis, what? I thought you liked bass more. I have to admit I like trout, too. For bait!

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:40 am

Browns in good numbers are found in Rock Lake Whitman Co, and the upper portions of the Kettle River Ferry County, both are 6 hrs treks from the coast

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 pm

If you realy want to try for some monster trout around here try steelheading fish rang from average 6-8lbs to as big as 42lb word record! Few lakes and even less rivers in WA have browns.

There are a few lakes around here that have browns i heard battleground lake has some monster browns.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:58 pm

if your looking for size in a brown go to battleground lake, for some odd reason the trout there get huge! which does not mkae sense it might just get the most fishing pressure i have ever seen or heard a lake of getting. anyway i have seen huge brown pulled out of there. if you are going for quantity my favorite lake is lacamas lake in clarck county especially in the late spring in like april becausr they stock it with browns right then and also large quantitys come out of the creeks to bulk up and go to deeper water for the summer. use spoons and spinner to get these trout on shore. find deep holes with weed beds near them to find large schools of these beautifull fish
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:41 am

I could be wrong about this, but I think the stocked browns get smarter quicker than the cookie-cutter rainbows and therefore have a greater chance of holding over and making their new lake their home. Just smarter genes or stronger survival genes. I think the genetic structure of hatchery rainbows has made them dumber after so many generations of living in the concrete races of the hatchery system. Also browns are more tolerant to warmer water than rainbows.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBear_fishin
Petty Officer

Post by TBear_fishin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 pm

Not a report..just an answer. Fish Lake located on the SE corner of Lake Wenatchee is the only lake I have caught Brown trout. Fish average 12-14", but fish in the teens (weight-wise) have been caught. Fish streamer fly deep or countdown Rapala, and make it DEEP!

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:33 pm

cavdad45 wrote:I could be wrong about this, but I think the stocked browns get smarter quicker than the cookie-cutter rainbows and therefore have a greater chance of holding over and making their new lake their home. Just smarter genes or stronger survival genes. I think the genetic structure of hatchery rainbows has made them dumber after so many generations of living in the concrete races of the hatchery system. Also browns are more tolerant to warmer water than rainbows.
you i hve noticed that only the browns not the rainbows actually go up lacamas creek and spawn in the summer and come back out of the lacamas creek once fall hits to get big and fat in the lake, the rainbows are so genetically tuned to concrete tanks that they almost forget their natural trout instincts (besides eating) also i have noticed that moderate-large amounts of fishing pressure can dessimate a rainbow trout stocking program in about a month but browns have almost never been fished out of any lake i have been fishing.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:
cavdad45 wrote:I could be wrong about this, but I think the stocked browns get smarter quicker than the cookie-cutter rainbows and therefore have a greater chance of holding over and making their new lake their home. Just smarter genes or stronger survival genes. I think the genetic structure of hatchery rainbows has made them dumber after so many generations of living in the concrete races of the hatchery system. Also browns are more tolerant to warmer water than rainbows.
you i hve noticed that only the browns not the rainbows actually go up lacamas creek and spawn in the summer and come back out of the lacamas creek once fall hits to get big and fat in the lake, the rainbows are so genetically tuned to concrete tanks that they almost forget their natural trout instincts (besides eating) also i have noticed that moderate-large amounts of fishing pressure can dessimate a rainbow trout stocking program in about a month but browns have almost never been fished out of any lake i have been fishing.
The farmed rainbows are some of the dumbest fish ever, but the native ones are awesome fighters and sometimes very picky.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:10 pm

Derrick-k wrote:
Fisherman_max wrote:
The farmed rainbows are some of the dumbest fish ever, but the native ones are awesome fighters and sometimes very picky.
you are right but its kinda hard to find some native rainbows now-a-days even up in the mountains, wdfw is stocking those dumb fish in almost every body of water in the state

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Well the smolt stocking in the high lakes is very nice the fish are great fish not as good as the pure native fish but still a step up since they have been in the lake since they where 3in.

If you want native trout go to the rivers high in the systems there are alot of nice native fish in some rivers. Lake WA has native bow's/cutt's/kokes/steelhead as does Lake Sammamish.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 pm

yea i guess you cant count trout that were born from a hatchery fish because they arent marked and they lived in the river/lake since they were born. and yea kokes are usually native, i havent heard of them stocking them. and yea i want to catch a sea-run cutthroat, i know they wuld be nothing like a steelhead in size or fighting abillities but it would still be fun.

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:24 pm

and i also remember going camping high in the lewis river system and slaying native rainbows just dropping a dry fly into the water right under an area were a rock dam has built so it makes a mini waterfall. i also remember catching a small brookie doing the same thing i love fishing small creeks and tiny rivers you get the best fish and craws from there

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Sea-run-cutthroat's are awesome they are like mini steelhead as far as fighting abilitys go.

They should be in the rivers right now!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Derrick-k wrote:Well the smolt stocking in the high lakes is very nice the fish are great fish not as good as the pure native fish but still a step up since they have been in the lake since they where 3in.

If you want native trout go to the rivers high in the systems there are alot of nice native fish in some rivers. Lake WA has native bow's/cutt's/kokes/steelhead as does Lake Sammamish.
Most of the rainbows are planted as fry in the lake. Kokes=very small amounts of those. Steelhead = same story, very few if any left...The Cutt's are all native though..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:18 pm

There are some steelies to be had just so long as you find the coastal rivers that arn't netted.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Derrick-k wrote:Sea-run-cutthroat's are awesome they are like mini steelhead as far as fighting abilitys go.

They should be in the rivers right now!
Searun cuttthroat are one of my favorites, but I stopped fishing them when the ban came in. Alot of good memories, though.