Left Handed Baitcasters????

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sickbayer
Commodore

Re: Left Handed Baitcasters????

Post by sickbayer » Sat May 12, 2012 7:23 pm

A9 wrote:
sickbayer wrote: I have two Takota that get no use simply because of the right hand retrive. Bit of a shame really.
Any interest in selling them or trading them for something??
Well i thought about but when i take people fishing most like to reel on the left hand side.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat May 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
natetreat wrote:I reel wrong handed, and avoided bait casters for the longest time because of it. I'm right handed, and use the finesse and strength available to my right arm to cast and fish with. My wife can't do it that way. She has to reel right handed, even though she's right handed. I think it's because it take more coordination to reel than to hold the rod.
It just occured to me when I was reading your post - playing guitar right-handed means your left fingers are used to form chords and play scales, while your right hand strums. I think the dexterity issue goes away for me because my left hand is used to moving and bending strings, forming chords, etc. Again, just goes to show it's all what your body gets used to for muscle memory.
I play guitar too, and can shred up and down with my left hand, but fishing wronghanded drives me nuts. I've noticed that folks who aren't used to fishing naturally tend to want to crank with their right hand, even if it's a left hand retrieve. When I first hand a rod to a new fishermen, their first instinct is to reel backwards, flip the reel onto the top and crank backwards with their right hand. Sometimes they'll even cast with their thumbs, because they like the reel on top.

Some of the big fish that I've pulled in against the current would make my left arm fall out the socket, so maybe that's another reason why I like lefty retrieves. I've forced myself to get used to it, when you fish with other peoples gear you have to be able to switch, it's just awkward.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:22 am

I still have buddy's that use R/H baitcasters and swithcing hands after casting? I also found (for me) I can control my fish, especially smallies better with my right hand when I'm netting alone. I may have a couple R/H baitcasters but seldom use them. My left handed friend was using a R/H spinning reel and that to me was awkward to reel in [flapper]