Poor mans downrigger techniques.

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mr. Black
Angler

Poor mans downrigger techniques.

Post by Mr. Black » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:56 am

Going trolling for kokes this weekend. I want to try using the 3 way swivel method.

Main line on upper swivel, then the bottom swivel will be a 4 foot leader with a 2-4oz weight depending on depth, and the rear swivel will be a 4 foot leader with a dodger or cow bell.

I have never tried this before and was wondering if you experts in here have?

It's my understanding that with this methods you can get a much more accurate depth on your gear by judging line angle vs pulls of the line out against drag.

If this is a crappy idea, please fill me in on some of your trolling secrets.

We will be in an 18' Smokercraft on an electric trolling motor.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Poor mans downrigger techniques.

Post by natetreat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:04 am

That's the way I do it from my rubber raft. I like to use the trolling spreader bars, they make for less tangles on the drop. I usually count pulls until I ifnd the right depths and have done okay for kokanee. When I finally got a fish finder it was much easier to find my depth, because you can see your weight on the screen. Also they have line counters that you can put on your rod. Depending on your speed you will need more or less weight. But in the end when you find the fish, keep your rods at that depth.

You've got a motor, so you'll be better off than I am. Heheh, I have to row and manage four rods when we go.

Mr. Black
Angler

Post by Mr. Black » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks a ton. Glad to hear this method isn't just a google legend.

I would think that with some careful methods of setting the gear in the water slowly, and taking your time to let the line out, that tangling wouldn't be a problem. I'll have to look into these spreader bars.

What will the weight look like on a fish finder screen? I'll have to look for that too!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:59 am

I have a relatively inexpensive portable sonar unit, it has a low resolution, but it shows up as a weird blotch. But my oars show up too, which is annoying.

I have the two pole endorsement which makes it way easier to search fish at different depths, with the finder it became even better. It was between getting a motor or a finder and I got a finder. Hehehe.

Also, i've made up a downrigger from half of a big meat stick rod with 100 pound test power pro on a cheap bait cast reel with a line counter. Just plop it in the rod holder and rig it up.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:02 pm

you can buy lead keels....you know..like the plastic 1s on the front of popgear....you run these inline with a GOOD swivle on the bk... less tangle and you can get a lil deeper with less weight because the thin design of the keel dosnt give you as much blow bk...less lead means ya feel more fish...DOG

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:47 pm

http://www.offshoretackle.com/graphics/ ... ctions.pdf

This is hands down the best "poor mans downrigger" techniques out there.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:07 pm

buy a a Buds Diver no need to buy downriggers. They work better than downriggers without the noise.
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm

I would run a lead line rig. You can spool the lead line on any conventional spool reel. When fishing for kokanee use a 20-30 foot top-shot of 8 pound fluorocarbon leader. Attach your dodger or gang troll to the end of the top-shot then run your lure behind that. Lead line comes dyed in a different color every 30 feet and depending on your trolling speed and tackle used, sinks about 1 foot for every 5’ or 6’ of line in the water (example “2 colors” you are running your gear at 10' or 12’ deep). We fish at least 1 lead line rig every time we are out kokanee fishing and it is usually the first to get bit.
Last edited by rseas on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:47 pm

rseas wrote:I would run a lead line rig. You can spool the lead line on any conventional spool reel. When fishing for kokanee use a 20-30 foot top-shot of 8 pound fluorocarbon leader. Attach your dodger or gang troll to the end of the top-shot then run your lure behind that. Lead line comes dyed in a different color every 30 feet and depending on your trolling speed and tackle used, sinks about 1 foot for every 5’ or 6’ of line in the water (example “2 colors” you are running your gear at 10” or 12’ deep). We fish at least 1 lead line rig every time we are out kokanee fishing and it is usually the first to get bit.
It can be fun to fish leaded line from a fly rod/reel. You can pick up a cheap larger size fly spool maybe on CL, and load it with leaded line. Then you are getting down the water collum, and you can play your fish on the nice feel of the fly rod.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm

At the beginning of the season I just used a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce egg weight (inline) above my dodger and did fine.
I was out at American Lake, Sunday 10-2-11, in the morning and caught a lot of fish at 13 feet (using downriggers) so the need for real heavy weight is not needed. As 9am approached we saw on the finder that they were moving deeper.
I believe the thermocline was at 20 feet from 7-8:30am and they were hanging out there. Of course we were using Kokanee_slayers new Hummingbird fish finder so I could see it and them. It seemed to disperse about 8:30am and the fish were spread out from 20 to 50 feet as we came in.
Last edited by Toni on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Kokanee Kid
Petty Officer

Re: Poor mans downrigger techniques.

Post by Kokanee Kid » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Mr Black,

I'd wait to fish kokes, maybe middle of next month. Downriggers are not a requirement, but if you want to fish with ultra light gear you will want one. I swiced over many years ago and would never go back! I now can use a super ultra light rod and fish as deep as I need to. Early in the season they will be up top, flat lineing will work. Mid season you will need to get deeper, maybe around 25' or so. That depends on our weather and of course the water temp.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Kokanee Kid wrote:Mr Black,

I'd wait to fish kokes, maybe middle of next month. Downriggers are not a requirement, but if you want to fish with ultra light gear you will want one. I swiced over many years ago and would never go back! I now can use a super ultra light rod and fish as deep as I need to. Early in the season they will be up top, flat lineing will work. Mid season you will need to get deeper, maybe around 25' or so. That depends on our weather and of course the water temp.
KK he went fishing in June, 2011. [flapper]
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Kokanee Kid
Petty Officer

Post by Kokanee Kid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 am

I started the week after you did kid-o.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 am

Kokanee Kid wrote:I started the week after you did kid-o.
You waited for my report? O:)

Kokaholic
Angler

Post by Kokaholic » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:46 pm

When the big Sockeye rush back in late 80's to early 90's my father & I would fish from a rubber raft. We used white nylon rope ( camp rope ). :fish: We would mark the rope with permanent colored markers every ten feet with black between every five feet, attach a 4lb downrigger ball and a small quick release attached five feet above the ball. We had a small 3.5hp Merc. We would place the the rope over the side so it wouldn't interfere with the motor. Total cost was $18.59, we fished 5 days and we limited every day using U-20 Flatfish. :fish: