favorite still fishing trout bait

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Xiphias Gladius
Petty Officer

favorite still fishing trout bait

Post by Xiphias Gladius » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:50 pm

whats your favorite still fishing trout bait? powerbait, mallow and worm, power eggs, pautkze salmon eggs, minnows? bait or combination and how, where and when you like to fish it. I'll throw mine in as well.

Marshmallow, worm and pautkze tyree salmon egg on a sliding float rig. works best a few weeks after stocking when the fish try out new natural foods. when they stock it I like to use chartruse powerbait.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:favorite still fishing trout bait

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:23 pm

I almost live by the moto "If you can't catch a fish with a worm and bobber.... then there just might not be any fish in the lake."
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Chartruese Power Eggs. Power Bait has never caught me a fish over 8 inches, and is impossible to keep on the hook. Those Power Eggs have been the magic bullet.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:12 pm

I have found that worms equal big trout. I use to hate using mallows but started using them this year. 2 mallos and a worm work great. I am also a big fan of power eggs. In march I used 3 power eggs on one hook all in a row, and killed the trout. Thats how I fish my power eggs now. But I did catch my biggest trout of the year on salmon egg flavored power bait. Not a huge fan of eggs though. My favorite casting lure is a Kastmaster or Krocodile and my favorite trolling lures are hot shots and flat fish (thanks to Sam). But my most productive trolling lure is a wedding ring and a worm. It just sucks having to check to see if your worm is still there after a hit and they get expensive. I put smelly jelly on everything. My favorite is Pautzke's krill grease. But I always loose that so Garlic and shrimp are my second favorites.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:02 am

I usually use spinners for trout or a small Rapala, but my 5-year old daughter still fishes. I usually use Powerbait for her, but I look for a color that no one else is using for confidence. That's the bass guy in me.

However my daughter did catch her biggest trout, around 18-19 inches with a bobber and a worm while panfishing near some lily pads and standing timber.

Paul & Sammi
Petty Officer

Post by Paul & Sammi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:21 pm

The mighty nightcrawler. On a drop shot or under a bobber

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Berkley scented corn nibbles they work great, but smell like trench foot.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:18 pm

Power eggs..Work a little better then powerbait because they can catch the big trout, which I've never come by with the plain doughy powerbait..

Natural is the way to go to coax big trout into hitting. one or two power eggs on the hook tipped with a worm does really well for me. On many trout lakes my biggest trout has been brought to net on that recipe....

I rarely do stillfish though for trout. 90% is trolling and trolling is my game so I stick with it and do good at it as well...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:11 am

My home cured recipie for steelhead eggs, with all the scents they stay on the hook and it works good on lakes with high fshing preasure because most people will be useing pb or single eggs or a worm and mallow.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:48 pm

My favorite still fishing bait is power eggs. One green and one orange.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:58 pm

PB, chartruese with sprinkles. of course worms.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:33 pm

The good ole fashion fat nightcrawler. Nothing works better than the real deal.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:57 pm

I've got to go with power eggs. Three of them on a size 8 hook always does the trick for me. Flourescent pink or chartreuse are my lucky colors! I like how the bait allows your leader to float above the weedline so that the fish can see it clearly.
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:10 pm

2 powereggs plus a piece of nightcrawler on the tip. egg color is a mix of pink, yellow and orange. another good combo for me is 3 maggots, a poweregg and tipped with a kernel of corn. that knocks the kokes out

Pal
Angler

Post by Pal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Still fishing is the ol' nightcrawler, normally about 2 cranks from bottom. For trolling however, beaten finish flaser, wedding band and maggot. They don't steal my bait!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Anything still fished (power bait, worms, etc.). It is easier to catch a buzz and relax this way. LOL.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:06 pm

My favorite is 1/2 of a nightcrawler. It seems to me that by the time I get the PB that is popular at the time the fish don't like it anymore.
For trolling, wedding ring tipped with the other 1/2 of the nightcrawler.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 am

Sunshine, A chair, a cooler, sunblock and my fishin hat, the only sound is the birds and the breeze.. ahhhh.=p~ Oh yeah and worms/nightcrawlers or chartruese glitter PB. Though after reading this forum I will have to try power eggs.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:26 pm

My grandfather always swore by mallows and ...Velveta cheese! Sounds funny, but they always had some on the hook. Usually fished under a bobber, and always produced.